Taking the plunge...

• 22 October 2022
  • 5 replies

So i have an older Sonos One that i use along with Alexa for mostly playing music via Spotify.

Im considering the upcoming deal at Costco on the Sonos Beam 2 and Sonos One SL 2 pack. Ill most likely grab a Sonos sub Mini with my 15% off upgrade coupon after.

So i mostly watch streamed content of which much is non 4K and a mix of 2.1 and 5.1 audio. TV is an LG 55” with ARC input (no eARC) but does have Optical Out. Living Room is open concept into Dining Room and Kitchen. L shaped basically with the viewing area measuring around 8’ x 13’. Entire living room is 13’x19’, Dining Room adds another 8’x11’ which then opens to the kitchen which measures 11’x12’ approximately.

So the existing Sonos One sits in the dining room and my plan was to leave it there.

The Beam 2 would sit under my TV and id most likely get a wall mount for one of the One SL’s and a stand for the other. Sub would go alongside the TV stand.

Onto my questions: 

Are my choices adequate for the room size?

Will i be able to use my existing Sonos One with Alexa to stream via Spotify music to all Sonos speakers?

Will i be able to easily mute the Sonos One when just watching TV and Movies?

Will placing the Beam 2 on a shelf under my TV and Stand greatly affect the sound?

My last venture into a Home Theatre Audio system was comprised of a Receiver, two towers, two surrounds and a shake your house 12” Sub. Between my love of live music, DJing, working in loud environments and lastly my age, ive developed severe tinnitus in one ear and its starting to effect my right. Ive gotten by with just my TV speakers since my take no prisoner divorce a few years back and im ready to build back better (no reference to our present administration intended). The reason i brought up this last bit of info was that a shake your house sound and base isnt what i need or want any longer. What i do want is great sound quality with a minimalistic setup.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I think your planning and proposals are ‘sound’ (pun intended), ‘perhaps’ with one very minor exception🤔. Might it be cheaper to use your existing 15% Sonos discount voucher to buy this complete Sonos Immersive Set instead?

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/immersive-set-beam-sub-mini-one-sl

I would upgrade your current Sonos One/Alexa enabled speaker to S2 and use it as intended - you can also then add Sonos Voice Control to that and don’t forget the Beam also supports Alexa and SVC too.

The standalone One and the entire Beam HT immersive setup, can be used together, or separately, for music audio playback… use the Sonos App, Alexa, or SVC to group/ungroup them.

I don’t recommend attempting to use SONOS in a DJ context unless you are very experienced dealing with sound latencies incurred in large venues. There is a 75ms latency between mixer input and output from a SONOS system. This will be similar to the echoes experienced when a DJ venue dimension is greater than about 35 feet.

SONOS speakers can be operated as a single unit, “Bonded” pairs of identical models, or Bonded into surround systems. Each of these configurations is known as a “Room”. Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same source and all members of the Group will be time aligned -- unless the Grouped Rooms are playing a TV source. The surround Room associated with the TV will have a 30ms latency while other members of the Group will be at 75ms. It is possible to adjust the surround Room’s lip sync in an attempt to compensate, but this will adjust the lip sync with the TV. This latency skew is an important consideration only when you are attempting to Group nearby Rooms with the TV and these Rooms can be heard simultaneously -- as you might attempt while watching TV in your L-shaped space, using Grouped SONOS Rooms. All rooms in a music playing Group will be time aligned.

The SONOS SUB will show those “shake you house” bass units how this is done. 

I think your planning and proposals are ‘sound’ (pun intended), ‘perhaps’ with one very minor exception🤔. Might it be cheaper to use your existing 15% Sonos discount voucher to buy this complete Sonos Immersive Set instead?

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/immersive-set-beam-sub-mini-one-sl

Ken,

It is actually $5 cheaper going the combined Costco deal with getting the Sub Mini at Sonos.

Costco deal also Includes a wall mount voucher, $40 Apple Gift Card or $40 Pandora
streaming credit, and a 30% off coupon for Sonos accessories.

To complicate things further, Ive tossed around the idea of putting a 75” TV up on the wall at the long end of the living room which would then move the viewing position from 9’ away to 15’ which would then have a room 13’x19’ to fill with sound. Decisions decisions...

Ken,

It is actually $5 cheaper going the combined Costco deal with getting the Sub Mini at Sonos.

Costco deal also Includes a wall mount voucher, $40 Apple Gift Card or $40 Pandora
streaming credit, and a 30% off coupon for Sonos accessories.

To complicate things further, Ive tossed around the idea of putting a 75” TV up on the wall at the long end of the living room which would then move the viewing position from 9’ away to 15’ which would then have a room 13’x19’ to fill with sound. Decisions decisions...

Before you know it, you will probably be looking at the Sonos Arc, two Fives and the larger Sub (gen3), welcome to the club …ha ha 😂