Answered

surround without centerpiece

• 18 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I am renovating my home and I don’t have space for a centerpiece like Sonos arc below the TV (TV will go on a marble fireplace). Can I use two wall speakers (or Sonos One’s) for front and two in ceiling speakers as rear speakers and achieve surround sound? If so, should I use one amp or two to connect those to TV? I have the new Samsung “the frame” 65”. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 December 2020, 15:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There will be a small delay between picture and sound so it’s not that viable to use Sonos speakers for the tv sound. And it’s only the Beam and Arc that has the processing capability to extract surround sound data. 

If the two speakers up front are powered by a Sonos Amp, connected via ARC, there’s no delay, and those two front speakers (not Sonos Ones) will create a faux center speaker. You could then bond a second Amp to drive a pair of your own speakers as rear surrounds, or use a pair of Sonos speakers. 

So two wall speakers up front, powered by a Sonos Amp, and two ceiling speakers, powered by a second Sonos Amp would work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

My apologies! Thanks for the correction, Bruce.

No worries. There’s a ton of options available, it’s easy to miss one in the heat of the moment.

And you’re right if they were talking about the CONNECT:AMP, which doesn’t have an ARC input like the newer Sonos Amp does ;)

Thank you very much