Skip to main content
Question

Surround sound speaker options

• 29 May 2024
  • 2 replies

I live in a standalone apartment with no one above, sides, front or back of me, so cranking up the volume is not an issue.  my apartment is laid out with both a family room and dining room adjoining each other with a side kitchen and the question I have with a 17‘ x 33‘ living and dining room area combined, would I be best served with 2 ERA 100 speakers or 2 ERA 300? I now have a Beam gen2 with a sub mini and would upgrade to a GEN 2 Arc when it comes out later this year or next year or whenever. I’m 79 years old and my hearing is not that great, but would like speech clarity in the movies I watch.

After getting my sub mini along with the beam 2, the experience has improved greatly with my Samsung TV. Would I be best served foregoing the side surroundsound speakers and keep my current set up? I don’t care about wasting more money if I’m not gonna get a good improvement.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d lean to the 100s as you don’t look to have a spot to place the 300s to get the most out of them.

Rumors of a new Arc are just that, nobody that knows has said if or when one will be released.

A common complaint here is that the Arc’s center channel is weak and makes voices hard to understand. Requests for volume control of it have been made and sent to the developers. So I wouldn’t be in a hurry to get any Arc until that issue is addressed.

Badge

Agreed. The ERA 100 seems like the best option for me. The current set up works very well and I am impressed with the sound quality of both the beam gen2 and the sub mini. I heard that the Arc overall sound quality is somewhat improved over the beam but not by much without a subwoofer which I have. I think I’ll wait and give this some thought as to getting the arc this year. Thank you very much for your info