Answered

Surround Sound - Inwall, AMP, Sub, 2 Ones

• 4 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I recently purchased an LG G2 OLED TV (yet to be delivered\installed). My current set up in the Media Room is Arc, Sub, 2 Ones.  Since the LG G2 will be flush against the wall, from an aesthetic perspective I will be moving the Arc to another room as it will make my skin crawl seeing the Arc sticking out from below the LG G2.  I purchased two Sonos In-Wall Speakers and the Amp (yet to be delivered) to replace the Arc. 

3 Questions below

Is anyone using the above configuration - two In-Wall, AMP, Sub and two Ones versus the Arc, Sub and 2 Ones and if so any significant difference?

I plan to place the Amp in a closet near the TV which already has plugs, in wall HDMI cable, etc.  However, it was recommended to place the AMP in a Legrand ONQ Cable Management Box which will be installed behind the TV to host cables, outlets and apple TV.  I figured it will be easier for me to trouble shoot any issues if the AMP is in the closet and thus I don’t mind paying additional installation costs.  Should I have any concerns of the AMP being placed in the Legrand enclosed Box behind the TV?

Do you need to have Sonos Beam (Gen 2) connected to a TV? I recently purchased a Beam Gen 2  for a Guest BR which I may have to return since I will relocate the Arc to that room. I have other rooms in the home with Sonos speakers just for music where I could place the beam including the MBR but those rooms are no TV zone rooms.  Based on online research appears a tv is needed.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 4 December 2022, 21:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

The main difference between the Arc and Amp is you will lose the dedicated center channel and lose the ability to play higher quality audio formats like Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, and Dolby TrueHD. The Amp is limited to standard Dolby Digital.

The box shouldn’t be an issue. Just be sure the Amp has proper ventilation so it doesn’t overheat.

The Beam does not need to be connected to a TV to stream music.

Badge

Guitar Superstar, thank you so much for your prompt, detailed and very helpful advice.  Currently in my MBR, I have a 2 Ones and a Sub just for streaming music.  I assume I can just add the Beam to this configuration.

Userlevel 7

Guitar Superstar, thank you so much for your prompt, detailed and very helpful advice.  Currently in my MBR, I have a 2 Ones and a Sub just for streaming music.  I assume I can just add the Beam to this configuration.

Yes, the Sub and Ones can be bonded to the Beam even if the Beam isn’t connected to a TV.