Answered

Surround setup advice, Amp and third party subwoofer

• 20 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I recently bought a Brilliant light switch that has screens built in with Sonos compatability for a easy consistent way to use my Sonos throughout the house.  I currently use the Connect Gen 2’s for my inside and backyard to external amps.  I am looking to add more speakers to my house as well as control every major room seperate.  So to make a long story short, was going to use the Sonos Amp I just bought to run the rear in ceiling speakers I have and use a small energy M8 sub.  Issue is that even if I buy a sonos sound bar and use the AMP for the rear my 3rd party sub will not work.  Any advice?  If I buy the Beam or ARC can I use one of my Connects to my 12 channel amp to work the surround?  and then do a Sonos Sub?  or do I have to get a connect:amp to do this?  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 December 2020, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

In order to run a third party subwoofer in a home theater situation, you must use the Sonos Amp. This allows you to drive two of your own front speakers, and leaves the subwoofer port active.

When using a Sonos soundbar, there are no options that allow you to use a non-Sonos sub. 

A Sonos CONNECT can not be used as a surround speaker. There is a kludge where you can use a CONNECT:AMP, as explained in the setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers FAQ.