Answered

Sum Of All Parts

• 14 December 2022
  • 5 replies

TV is a 65” LG OLED C8 PLA (2019) with HDMI ARC port available. TV connected to Sky Q box.

Will Sonos Arc plug and play via the TV HDMI ARC connection.

TV mounted to a Sanus VLT6-B2 tilting bracket. Is the WSSATM1 arc bracket compatible with the VLT6.

I am a novice in this field with limited technical knowledge on this subject

All hep appreciated

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 December 2022, 12:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nthorbur 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Will Sonos Arc plug and play via the TV HDMI ARC connection.

Yes. Ideally, Arc would like an eARC port, but will still work with standard HDMI-ARC. The Arc can play compressed Atmos (Dolby Digital +), Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM over HDMI-ARC (assuming the TV supports them - PCM is supported by all, and Dolby Digital is supported by a large majority of TVs). You will not be able to play uncompressed Atmos (MAT) or Multichannel LPCM, however, as these require eARC. 

Atmos playback requires the sound-bar, TV, source device (if present) to support Atmos and the content itself needs to be recorded in that format. Uncompressed Atmos is only available on physical media (like BluRay), so if your main source is Sky Q or streaming, the lack of eARC (and thus uncompressed Atmos) isn’t an issue.

You will need to enable SimpLink in the LG TV’s options.

TV mounted to a Sanus VLT6-B2 tilting bracket. Is the WSSATM1 arc bracket compatible with the VLT6.

On the WSATM1 product page, it mentions ‘universal compatibility with SANUS TV mounts and other TV mount brands, VESA Patterns, and for most TV's 50"- 90"’, which is a Yes.

I am a novice in this field with limited technical knowledge on this subject

All hep appreciated

That is exactly why the community is here, and you are very welcome!

I hope this is all clear - if you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@nthorbur 

I can confirm that all formats mentioned work well I have the LG b8 version of tv and it passes through dolby atmos compressed (dd+) and shows as atmos 

Dts also works I think newer lg TVs don't support dts but yours should 

As for sky q I have no experience with it  I got rid of  my tv licence 15 years ago and only watch streaming media and blurays I have seen posts regarding some issues with sky and solutions to them on the forum 

Thanks for the prompt  and clear response.

Potential setup will be:

Sonos Arc to LG TV via HDMI Arc input 

LG Tv to Sky Q box via HDMI input (as current)

Pair Sonos to Tv (Assume that Tv and Sky already paired). 

Assume Sky channels sound controlled by soundbar, netflix either watch via Sky or Tv App and music played through TV app all sound output from the Sonos.

If that works then i am going to invest - option to upgrade TV later on and time for an ARC/EARC adaptor for Tv to be invented.

Can old ears tell the difference between Arc and eArc sound quality

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@nthorbur

My 65 year old ears are happy 👍

When I get the urge to upgrade the TV I put a reference bluray on and remember that I will lose dts if I get a newer lg tv

I would recommend getting 2 rears and a sub before a tv if you are happy with the picture 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @nthorbur 

Sonos Arc to LG TV via HDMI Arc input 

LG Tv to Sky Q box via HDMI input (as current)

Pair Sonos to Tv (Assume that Tv and Sky already paired). 

This is all good, though I recommend enabling Simplink before connecting the Arc.

Assume Sky channels sound controlled by soundbar, netflix either watch via Sky or Tv App and music played through TV app all sound output from the Sonos.

You may not want to use TV app for music - it depends on the app, though. If you are thinking of playing music from YouTube (not YouTube Music) then you’d be better off using the Sonos app on your phone - the TV doesn’t need to be on, and the audio quality will be better.

If that works then i am going to invest - option to upgrade TV later on and time for an ARC/EARC adaptor for Tv to be invented.

There are a few adaptors that will provide an eARC connection when a TV will not. They are not cheap, however, and see next answer.

Can old ears tell the difference between Arc and eArc sound quality

I doubt young ears could, if they were not trained in what to listen for. And they’d probably need a direct comparison, switching back and forth between the formats to be able to tell.

I hope this helps.