Sub (Gen 3) with PC

• 25 July 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello Everyone,

The following is what I have in mind and I’m not sure if these are possible.

Set Up 1: (2.2)

Sound Source: PC

Type of Media: YouTube Videos or Streaming Movies or Streaming Music

Front: Pair of Five or Pair of Era 300

Sub: Dual Sub (Gen 3)

Set Up 2: (2.2)

Sound Source: Android Mobile

Type of Media: Streaming Music

Front: Pair of Five or Pair of Era 300

Set Up 3: (5.2)

Sound Source: TV + NVidia Shield

Front Surround: Pair of Five or Pair of Era 300 (Not interested in Sound Bar)

Front Center: One Five or One Era 300 (Not interested in Sound Bar)

Rear Surround: Pair of Five or Pair of Era 300

In the above which setup is possible? Do I need additional equipment?

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Just to say you cannot (currently) have two Sonos Subs with any Sonos stereo pair of speakers…

You ideally need a Sonos main HT player (Soundbar, or Sonos Amp) to connect to each of your video sources PC/TV ….as otherwise you will likely experience a 75ms minimum audio output delay to the non-Home Theatre speakers causing lip-sync issues with any video on screen.

Some user try to get around the audio delay by using Bluetooth/Airplay connections in some cases, but in my experience, the stereo-only audio tends to drift out of sync quite often and these type of A/V connections are just not worth the hassle.

You are probably best to ‘bite the bullet’ and look at the Sonos HT products instead and if you’re dead-set against a Sonos Soundbar for use with A/V source, then perhaps take a closer look at their Amp instead.

1) Will give you lip sync problems because the analog line in needs buffering.

2) Possible, but you can't use dual subs in a music only setup.

3)  Not possible.  The fronts need to be a Sonos soundbar or the Sonos Amp with 2 passive speakers and a phantom center.  You cannot use individual Sonos speakers as left/center/right.

Setup 1 will be a challenge, due to the minimum line in delay of 75ms. This is likely why Sonos doesn’t advertise/market their speakers as computer speakers.

Setup 2: seems unlikely, now that Android has closed off the ability for Sonos to use tha Android device as an NAS. You’re likely to need to use Bluetooth, and none of the speakers you’ve listed here have Bluetooth capability. You could, however, use the line in capability with those speakers, if you wired the Android device from the headphone Jack. I’d be much more likely to go the Bluetooth route, and group a Roam as a Bluetooth receiver with those speakers.

Setup 3: not possible as you’ve outlined it. There is no way to have a center speaker in a Sonos setup without using a Sonos sound bar. 

Thank you everyone. I got a clarity on my setups.

Is there a way to stream to Sub from Android? Seems like Amp is the only way, is my understanding correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thank you everyone. I got a clarity on my setups.

Is there a way to stream to Sub from Android? Seems like Amp is the only way, is my understanding correct?

Sub on its own is not an option, it has to be bonded to a speaker such as Five, Era or to a soundbar or Amp and that speaker sends data to the Sub.

What do you mean by “stream from android”? Do you mean use your phone is a music source, or what? 

What do you mean by “stream from android”? Do you mean use your phone is a music source, or what? 

Yes correct, I would like to stream Spotify from my Android device.

Also thank you for informing on the way communication happens to Sub.

I totally misunderstood, that Sub directly connects to the streaming device.

Setup 1 will be a challenge, due to the minimum line in delay of 75ms. This is likely why Sonos doesn’t advertise/market their speakers as computer speakers.

Setup 2: seems unlikely, now that Android has closed off the ability for Sonos to use tha Android device as an NAS. You’re likely to need to use Bluetooth, and none of the speakers you’ve listed here have Bluetooth capability. You could, however, use the line in capability with those speakers, if you wired the Android device from the headphone Jack. I’d be much more likely to go the Bluetooth route, and group a Roam as a Bluetooth receiver with those speakers.

Setup 1: I’m still considering this provided, Window 11 has ability to compensate for the delay.

Setup 2: I’m also considering this. For Five via Line-In + Bluetooth receiver and let it handle one or two Subs, or Era 300 via Bluetooth and let it handle one or two Subs and I will use it only for Music Streaming, provided Setup 1 is possible, else have to drop off the entire Sonos product line.

Setup 3: Dropped this plan all together.

Hello,

Let's go through each of the setups and see what is possible:

Set Up 1: (2.2)

Sound Source: PC
Front: Pair of Five or Pair of Era 300
This setup is possible. You will need a PC with the necessary audio outputs to connect to either a Pair of Five speakers or a Pair of Era 300 speakers. Additionally, you will need to connect the Dual Sub (Gen 3) to the PC as well.

Set Up 2: (2.2)

Sound Source: Android Mobile
Type of Media: Streaming Music
Front: Pair of Five or Pair of Era 300
This setup is not directly possible. The reason is that mobile phones typically do not have the necessary audio outputs Legit Pakistan to directly connect to traditional passive speakers like the Five or Era 300. These speakers require an amplifier or a receiver to power them.

Once again, two subs are only possible when used with a soundbar or Amp.  You cannot bond two subs to two Era/Five speakers as you propose in #2 above.