Answered

Soundbar for Amplifier

• 9 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am looking for a suitable soundbar that can be connected to an amphifier / CD player / turntable. I am old-school, own more than 3000 CDs and 1000 Vinyl and even  though I don’t use any streaming services, an additional bluetooth option would be perfect to play mp3 from my phone / iPod. This combined with Atmos would be fantastic.

Any recommendations are very much appreciated.

Thanks!  

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 December 2021, 09:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

What model amplifier do you own? Is it powering passive speakers? Is the CD player and turntable currently connected to the amplifier?

Do you use an iPhone? What model iPod do you own?

A Sonos Arc sound bar connected to your TV would be great for Dolby Atmos audio and playing music directly from an iOS device using AirPlay (the Arc is not compatible with Bluetooth).

But you would need to get another Sonos device with line-in like a Sonos Five or Sonos Port to connect your CD player and turntable. Since you have two devices, you would also need a two input/one output audio switcher like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0895GNMS3/

Also be sure your turntable has a built-in phono preamp.

Thanks for your fast response!
The amplifier is a Yamaha RX-V685. Yes, it currently is powering pasive speakers I want to get rid off.

The turntable has also bluetooth, so this is not my main concern. 

The iPod is a Classic model, but I am mainly adding mp3 converetd from my CD collection on my Samsung Galaxy at the moment.

Preferably I would like to have only one soundbar. Or is it possible to attach a CD player to a bluetooth soundbar? I can I could then get rid of the amplifier.

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately Sonos doesn’t make a sound bar that is Bluetooth compatible. If you want a Bluetooth sound bar, you need to look elsewhere.

If you want to stick with Sonos, you might consider getting the Sonos Move. It isn’t a sound bar, but it is compatible with Bluetooth and it’s portable. You could connect your turntable and phone to the Move over Bluetooth.

But you would not be able to connect your CD player since the Move doesn’t have a line-in port. So you would still need a Sonos Port or Five to connect your CD player.

Honestly, you’d be better off looking elsewhere for a sound bar that is Bluetooth compatible, plays Dolby Atmos audio, and has audio inputs to connect your CD player. I know the Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar has all of these features but it is pretty expensive. But it’s also considered to be one of the best, if not THE best, sound bars on the market.