Answered

Sony PS-LX310BT record player & Sonos Beam

• 7 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi guys, 

Wondering if anyone can help me with this:

My current set up is I have a sonos Beam and a seperate old stereo/vinyl record player set up.

I’m looking to upgrade my record player however to a Sony PS-LX310BT, which comes with built in phono pre-amp and bluetooth connection. 

I understand that I may not be able to connect the record player to my SONOS Beam, but would really like to be able to incorporate it into the vinyl set up (as the old stereo/speakers currently connected are not great..). 

Does anyone know of the easiest/most cost effective way of either

1. Connecting the sony record player directly to the Beam 

or

1. Buying another SONOS product that the sony record player will be able to connect to and will allow me to play from the Beam also. (note. the record player has line-out aswell as bluetooth connection)

I’d really appreciate anyones advice as this would take my current seperate (very basic) setups to the next level. 

Thanks in advance!! 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 January 2021, 18:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Your best options would be to purchase either a Sonos Port or Sonos Five. The Port has RCA inputs and the Five has a 3.5 mm line in input. The added benefit of the Five is you will have an added speaker.

Userlevel 7

Here’s an article with more information: https://blog.sonos.com/en/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos/

Here’s an article with more information: https://blog.sonos.com/en/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos/

Thanks so much for your quick reply! 

I thought that would be the case. Is there any drawback on buying an older model of either of these products? (E.g. would a SONOS connect or a Sonos play:5 (older gen) work just as well?) 

Userlevel 7

You could get the Play:5 or the Connect to save some money. If you choose the Connect, be sure to get the Connect (Gen 2) so you can use it with the S2 app.

Obvious drawbacks would be you have to purchase these products used, and since they are older and discontinued, they won’t last as long as a new product.

As far as sound quality, the Five and Play:5 sound the same. I’m not sure if there is an improvement in audio performance between the Port and Connect.

You could get the Play:5 or the Connect to save some money. If you choose the Connect, be sure to get the Connect (Gen 2) so you can use it with the S2 app.

Obvious drawbacks would be you have to purchase these products used, and since they are older and discontinued, they won’t last as long as a new product.

As far as sound quality, the Five and Play:5 sound the same. I’m not sure if there is an improvement in audio performance between the Port and Connect.

Yeah I was just thinking from a money-saving point of view as I’m on a university student budget :sweat_smile: 

Thanks so much for your help though!  I will probably look at getting a second-hand Play:5, as you said it would provide another speaker too. 

Userlevel 7

I have a Play:5 and it sounds fantastic. It’s probably my favorite Sonos speaker other than the Arc. Don’t be surprised if you like the Play:5 better than your Beam. Get a good RCA to 3.5mm cable for your turntable.

Get a Play:5/gen2, which looks and sounds similar to the Five. Do not get a Play:5/gen1. It’s legacy tech and can only run the older S1 software.

Thanks both for your suggestions! Sounds like a good solution!