Sonos with help from Samsung just saved me £699

• 17 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have just bought a Samsung Q90R TV to replace my aging but very able Panasonic Plasma TV.

My intention was to then upgrade from my Sonos Beam plus 2 Sonos Ones, to the new Arc Soundbar.

I chose the Samsung over my preferred LG OLED TV due to potential OLED screen burn-in issues that may or may not have occured. Turns out when reading many reviews of the Samsung TV i missed the fact that users had found that there were issues regarding lip sync when the Samsung TV passes through Dolby Digital from offboard satellite or cable boxes. I use SKY Q to receive and record programmes.

The Samsung TV it seems delays the audio when passing through the  Dolby Digital signal against the video by approx 60ms causing lip sync error.

As Sonos Arc only has one HDMI port like the Beam I won’t be able to view SKY Q with Dolby Digital and Atmos without getting lip sync error. At present I have to use a three into one fibre optical switch so connect my SKY Q audio and TV audio and BlueRay audio into the Beam. This works fine with the video from SKy and the BluRay feeding into the HDMI ports on the TV. I can easily switch audio channels to sync with whatever video signal is being displayed by the TV.

Had there been more HDMI inputs and outputs into/from the Arc it would have been possible to route the video and audio signals into the TV from the Arc and so utilise Dolby Atmos feature transmitted by SKYQ and from onboard the TV’s Netflix and Amazon Prime Apss.

So sadly I will not be able to receive Dolby Atmos an will therefore keep my present Sonos Beam and Ones.

I can’t understand how a high end products like the Samsung QLED TVs with all manner of features can’t manage to pass through Dolby Digital signals with matching audio and video syncing. Surely many people use offboard boxes like SKY Q? And why with many possible AV set-ups has Sonos chosen to equip their, what sounds like a really superb Soundbar, with just one HDMI port?

As many people own high end Samsung TVs there will surely be many more potential Arc purchasers who will be deterred from buying the Arc for the sake of its only having one HDMI port.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Interesting to read, I have a Q80r and recently purchased a beam, on some channels I seem to get lip sync delay, no amount of changing the delay helps. Will take off DD and try that

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The HDFury Arcana will solve the lip-sync problem and also let the Arc play Dolby Atmos.

I have pre-ordered one myself.

The HDFury Arcana will solve the lip-sync problem and also let the Arc play Dolby Atmos.

I have pre-ordered one myself.

That’s actually brilliant, because it solves another problem also.

I have the Philips Hue Sync box, which does not support Dolby Atmos passthrough. So by using the HDFury Arcana in front of that before sending the picture to the TV, that issue also gets fixed.

Thanks for that.

/M