Answered

Sonos Sub

• 20 March 2021
  • 9 replies

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

I am new to the Sonos experience and am in the process of setting up stereo paired Sonos One speakers.  My intended purpose is the use the speakers for listening to music.  I am thinking about maybe adding a Sonos sub.  Would a sub be worth adding to this set up is it more suited to Sonos Fives or TV surround sound systems?

icon

Best answer by Sonosjunkie 20 March 2021, 01:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

It would make a big difference for music. Great for movies too, but certainly a worthwhile investment for music too. I’ve done a side by side test of 2x1 + Sub vs 2x5 and I think the former combo comes out better. Whilst adding a sub to a pair of fives is also a noticeable enhancement. The difference is far leas noticeable than when adding to a pair of 1s. Some would say that would even be overkill. But it is certainly a diminishing return. Adding a sub to a pair of ones makes for a night and day difference. Go for it. You’ll not regret it. 

Userlevel 7

If you listen to music with a lot of bass like hip hop or electronic music, adding a Sub to your pair of Ones will make a pretty dramatic difference.

It would make a big difference for music. Great for movies too, but certainly a worthwhile investment for music too. I’ve done a side by side test of 2x1 + Sub vs 2x5 and I think the former combo comes out better. Whilst adding a sub to a pair of fives is also a noticeable enhancement. The difference is far leas noticeable than when adding to a pair of 1s. Some would say that would even be overkill. But it is certainly a diminishing return. Adding a sub to a pair of ones makes for a night and day difference. Go for it. You’ll not regret it. 

Thank you for your reply Sonosjunkie.  It sounds as though adding a sub adds a negligible difference, if I have read you correctly.

If you listen to music with a lot of bass like hip hop or electronic music, adding a Sub to your pair of Ones will make a pretty dramatic difference.

Thank you for your reply GuitarSuperstar.  I am a smooth jazz listener.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

It would make a big difference for music. Great for movies too, but certainly a worthwhile investment for music too. I’ve done a side by side test of 2x1 + Sub vs 2x5 and I think the former combo comes out better. Whilst adding a sub to a pair of fives is also a noticeable enhancement. The difference is far less noticeable than when adding to a pair of 1s. Some would say that would even be overkill. But it is certainly a diminishing return. Adding a sub to a pair of ones makes for a night and day difference. Go for it. You’ll not regret it. 

Thank you for your reply Sonosjunkie.  It sounds as though adding a sub adds a negligible difference, if I have read you correctly.

Ha ha no, i said the exact opposite. you read incorrectly.

But maybe not worth it for jazz? You can buy with 100 day return from Sonos. So why not order one and then see if you thinknit is worth it. That’ll give you the best answer. 

But maybe not worth it for jazz? You can buy with 100 day return from Sonos. So why not order one and then see if you thinknit is worth it. That’ll give you the best answer. 

I agree with the conclusion, but not with the first part. All my listening is jazz and blues - not smooth jazz, but similar enough I guess. The Sub makes a difference, and wherever there is a double bass in the content, it makes a big difference.

The Sub also lets the music continue to sound rich at low volumes where music can otherwise sound thin. 

It would make a big difference for music. Great for movies too, but certainly a worthwhile investment for music too. I’ve done a side by side test of 2x1 + Sub vs 2x5 and I think the former combo comes out better. Whilst adding a sub to a pair of fives is also a noticeable enhancement. The difference is far less noticeable than when adding to a pair of 1s. Some would say that would even be overkill. But it is certainly a diminishing return. Adding a sub to a pair of ones makes for a night and day difference. Go for it. You’ll not regret it. 

Ha ha no, i said the exact opposite. you read incorrectly.

Sorry.  Thanks for the clarification and the suggestion!!

The Sub also lets the music continue to sound rich at low volumes where music can otherwise sound thin. 

Sounding ‘thin’ at low volumes is more of a human condition than an equipment shortcoming. Lookup “Equal Loudness Contours” for the details about this aspect of our aural sense.

In addition to more bass, a desirable side benefit is increased midrange clarity because the smaller speakers have a simpler job after the bass has been removed from their list of chores.

In addition to more bass, a desirable side benefit is increased midrange clarity because the smaller speakers have a simpler job after the bass has been removed from their list of chores.

I usually remember to say this as well!