Answered

sonos Roam

• 2 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi have a roam speaker thinking of getting 2.  I understand 2 x roam can be used in Stereo under wifi, and does not work in stereo in bluetooth.

Can 2 sonos roams be connected to a single bluetooth streaming?

Is it possible to play 2 x sonos roam not in stereo from either a samsung galaxy s7 or iphone 12.  

Thanks

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 2 June 2021, 15:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Samsung Galaxy allows you to send bluetooth audio to two different speakers at the same time.  I was able to do this with my S21.  It doesn’t really depend on the bluetooth speakers used, so you could test this out with your Roam and a different bluetooth speaker/headphones to test it out.  It’s my understanding is that Apple does not have this feature.

It’s worth noting though that when you have a stereo pair of Roam speakers, putting one of them in bluetooth mode automatically breaks the stereo pair.  You will need to turn off bluetooth and repair the speakers every time you want to go back to stereo.

Given that, in my opinion, if you want to use the Roam often as a bluetooth speaker, don’t get a pair of them.  If you want to use Roam primarily as WiFi speakers, then a pair makes sense.  If your habit requires a lot of both, and budget allows, you may want to get 3 Roams...a permanent stereo pair and one used outside of the home.  

Mod Edit: Changed “stereo pair of bluetooth speakers” to “stereo pair of Roam speakers”, for clarity.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sorry wanted to share my recent experience. Just took delivery of 2 Roams and alas did not read the fine print about not being able to do stereo pairing with Bluetooth connection (argh!!! why Sonos, why??? UE Booms do this easily) ..

My somewhat convoluted solution has been to use a “universal wireless adapter” connected to the mobile hotspot feature of my phone  + a simple “travel router” which is set to mimic my home wifi SSID and password - the network my “REAL” sonos system is on… 

When out of range of my home WiFi simply plug in the universal wireless adapter and travel router and connect the two with an ethernet cable then on my phone turn on my WiFi hotspot and on my phone disconnect from the fake Home Wifi connection.

This actually works pretty well during my testing but you may have to re-pair the roams every time you connect though, also haven’t tried it over an extended period. Also you have to make sure your phone does not connect to the “travel router” wifi when hotspot is working.

Plan to use a portable battery pack to keep everything powered for beach time goodness…