Answered

Sonos Port, Airplay 2, and Play:3?

• 25 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi there,

I may be way off base here, so apologies in advance, but I couldn’t find a clear answer anywhere. I have an older Play:3 (and some other stuff, but the rest doesn’t really matter for now) that does not work with Airplay 2. I also have a record player. As such, I was considering getting a Port to connect my record player to my audio system., but have a few assumptions/questions:

• I understand that the Port supports Airplay 2.
  • I understand the Port will connect my record player to my existing system.
  • I assume the Port will work with the Play:3, and therefore my record player will work with the Play:3.

If my understandings and assumption above are correct, then will I be able to use Airplay 2 from my iPhone (let’s assume in Spotify), play via Port, and then choose the Play:3 to play music through, effectively giving the Play:3 Airplay 2 support?

Again, apologies if I’m missing something. I hope I’m right, but reckon I’m probably wrong here :)

icon

Best answer by John B 25 April 2020, 15:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Airplay only works when you group speakers, so you can group your Play 3 and your Port, then Airplay to the Port, and it will play on both.

Line input can be directed to any speaker without grouping the speakers, so yes you can play your records on another speaker.

You would be crazy to buy a Port and just use it for this.  I am assuming you don’t have a hifi to make proper use of the Port?  Sell the Play:3 and buy a Play:5.  Net cost similar to buying a Port.  Hugely better speaker than the Play:3, It has a line-in for the turntable and is Airplay 2 compatible.

Unless the stuff you said you weren’t going to tell us about changes the situation here……?

You would be crazy to buy a Port and just use it for this.  I am assuming you don’t have a hifi to make proper use of the Port?  Sell the Play:3 and buy a Play:5.  Net cost similar to buying a Port.  Hugely better speaker than the Play:3, It has a line-in for the turntable and is Airplay 2 compatible.

Unless the stuff you said you weren’t going to tell us about changes the situation here……?

I only have a couple other Play:1s, and the record player is the only standalone unit outside of Sonos ATM. Selling the 3 and buying a 5 sounds like a plan. Thanks for talking sense into me :slight_smile:

Glad to have helped!

It might be worth waiting a couple of months to see if any new products come along with the planned S2 software.