Sonos Playbase vs Yamaha YSP-2700

• 29 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Hey guys,

Got a huge dilemma over here lol. I'm totally for the Sonos Playbase but today, I brought my wife to check it out and we checked the Yamaha YSP-2700 as well. That was really good as well - especially since it came with a subwoofer and it was spewing out 7.1 sound. It sports all the latest connections as well - HDMI ARC, you name it.

However, one thing that Sonos does extremely well, in my opinion, is how stereo separation works. Wife says that it's a better bang for the buck with the Yamaha since we're getting a whole load of features and I understand what she means. The Sonos Beam could be an option too!

Which one should I get guys?

TV: LG C7 which wouldn't have trouble with either of them.
Room: Apartment Living Room which isn't too big.
Multi-room potential: Definitely yes. So ease of setting that up and using it would be great.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
The yas 2700 is really good bar, and it really can give the playbar a run for its money in sound quality. But if you really want big sound yas 5600 ;)

This is a sonos forum, so you will get the sonos is better for certain reasons. But Yamaha really does make an excellent sound bar in their yamaha sound projector line.

But if you are already a sonos home, adding yamaha multicast for the rear speaker if you chose to grow it out will have two competing networks. Mind you the yamaha multicast works really well as well.

I could not bring myself to invest in the playbase or playbar for the HDMI ARC and the other features like DTS-X and Atmos that the Yamaha YAS line supports. But I was given a fantastic deal by samsung when I got the Q7FN, so I added their HW-MS751. So I have samsung for HT and sonos for music.
This is a sonos forum, so you will get the sonos is better for certain reasons. But Yamaha really does make an excellent sound bar in their yamaha sound projector line.

Haha I totally knew what I was getting into but I just wanted to see if anybody partial was in the Sonos community. And yes, the Sound Projector line sounded amazing which sent me back all the way home just to research more

But if you are already a sonos home, adding yamaha multicast for the rear speaker if you chose to grow it out will have two competing networks. Mind you the yamaha multicast works really well as well.

Issue is that I don't have a Sonos home - however, I'm looking to build one in the future which makes things pretty hard.

I could not bring myself to invest in the playbase or playbar for the HDMI ARC and the other features like DTS-X and Atmos that the Yamaha YAS line supports. But I was given a fantastic deal by samsung when I got the Q7FN, so I added their HW-MS751. So I have samsung for HT and sonos for music.

Hmm, a question that I would like to throw out to you is, has HDMI ARC or any of the extra features really made a difference for you? And do you watch a lot of DTS-X & Atmos films? The thing is, wife and I, don't bother too much with these stuff and streams most of the time - though Atmos films are slowly entering iTunes.

But again, thanks for your kind opinion! Wife is going to be thrilled lol.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I watch HDR bluerays, and it does make a difference when you get dts-x or atmos. AppleTV is great but their 4K HDR
is not at the level of a 4k HDR Blueray, and when you play the DTS-X or Atmos supported Blueray it does make a difference. Also I play PC games in 4K HDR with DTS and Atmos. And pushing that directly via hdmi to the soundbar, and letting pass the 4K signal to the TV gives it a much more insane sound.

But most people don't bother with that, that is the whole reason for the Beam. It offer HDMI ARC, for the control aspect. And you get dobly digital 5.1 which is good for streaming services. And most people will be more then happy. And this is the maket of the beam, playbar and playbase. And it does well.

But now that appletv will support Atmos, I think that not having it, will be a bit behind the competition.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If you want a more traditional yamaha setup, the new Bar 40 and Bar 400 is coming. But are expensive as they are brand new models.
I watch HDR bluerays, and it does make a difference when you get dts-x or atmos. AppleTV is great but their 4K HDR
is not at the level of a 4k HDR Blueray, and when you play the DTS-X or Atmos supported Blueray it does make a difference. Also I play PC games in 4K HDR with DTS and Atmos. And pushing that directly via hdmi to the soundbar, and letting pass the 4K signal to the TV gives it a much more insane sound.

But most people don't bother with that, that is the whole reason for the Beam. It offer HDMI ARC, for the control aspect. And you get dobly digital 5.1 which is good for streaming services. And most people will be more then happy. And this is the maket of the beam, playbar and playbase. And it does well.

But now that appletv will support Atmos, I think that not having it, will be a bit behind the competition.

Hey! Good to see that you're on Reddit as well haha. Wanted to try my luck there too.

That's a good point that now Apple TV supports Atmos but the only issue is that the YSP-2700 doesn't have DTS:X or Dolby Atmos and that makes me skeptical haha. If I'm to go for an Atmos system, I might just look at the Samsung HW-K950 just because it's got rear speakers too - and cheaper than the YSP-5600.

But looking at how we're going to use it; I'm not hooking my PC up to the living room, we're streaming music mostly, and we stream our movies most of the time.

Hmm really tough. But it might come down to the Samsung HW-K950 or the Sonos at the end of the day tho. The Yamaha was really bang for buck but no Dolby Atmos kinda killed it off.

But that said, what do you think of the Samsung HW-K950?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hey! Good to see that you're on Reddit as well haha. Wanted to try my luck there too.

That's a good point that now Apple TV supports Atmos but the only issue is that the YSP-2700 doesn't have DTS:X or Dolby Atmos and that makes me skeptical haha. If I'm to go for an Atmos system, I might just look at the Samsung HW-K950 just because it's got rear speakers too - and cheaper than the YSP-5600.

But looking at how we're going to use it; I'm not hooking my PC up to the living room, we're streaming music mostly, and we stream our movies most of the time.

Hmm really tough. But it might come down to the Samsung HW-K950 or the Sonos at the end of the day tho. The Yamaha was really bang for buck but no Dolby Atmos kinda killed it off.

But that said, what do you think of the Samsung HW-K950?

The YSP-2700 does not have upward firing speakers so no dts-x or atmos. That is why the are coming out with the BAR 40 and Bar 400. You can add rear speakers and have atmos and DTS-X.

I have the HW-MS751 and it is pretty nice, it not as good as the Playbar in bass, but has a bigger sound stage. And a coworker went with the HW-K950, it is a pretty nice system. The sound+ line is a major upgrade to all the other crappy samsung speakers they sell cheap. But the sub on the HW-950 is not as impressive as the wireless sub w700. That thing is a beast. 10" subwoofer, in a very nice housing. Thing weighs 14kg. I am seriously eyeing the sub. But is a good package. But the bad thing is if you go with the sound+ and want to do mulitroom with the samsung. The Samsung Radiant wifi music speakers they sell are sub par when going form sonos or yamaha speakers. They are not in the sound+ line. Not sure how the new ones are, if they got Harmon to supply the woofers and tweeters. So you might not want to build your multi room speaker system around samsung. Just something to consider pass the HT aspect.