Question

Sonos Playbase extend

• 10 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi, I just got a Playbase and I can really recommend it. It filles up my two room + kitchen apartement well alone and the base is great.
However I want to extend it to a home theatre AND a full music experience. I`m really impressed with the base sound so I wonder if I need a sub at all? But at least I need two rear speakers, should I get two Play 1 or two Play 3? I have learned that two Play 5 would be the best in the living room for music, but now I want to combine with the Playbase and get both the home theatre and music as good as possible. Then I need at least another Play 1 or 3 for kitchen and bedroom.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I can't really speak for the Play 5 but I have the playbase and 2 play 1s and its very good. Would imagine unless you have a massive room then those would be plenty
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I haven't listened to a Playbase/bar + 2 Play 1s setup in person, so I'm carrying some opinions of others here.

Typically, the recommendation is made that Playbase + Play 1s is sufficient (as opposed to Play 3s). Since the cost is delta isn't trivial I think it could be a reasonable starting point.

I have listened to a Playbase with and without a Sub. While I had no particular complaints about Sub-less listening, I can say that I was impressed and even surprised by what the Sub brought. I found it to be an exciting add for both my music and media watching. It's worth noting that my living room is fairly large, and I think in a smaller room the Playbase could've closed the gap quite a lot.

While you and I appear to have had a similar, excellent experience with the Playbase I should mention that there are detractors to the way Sonos has handled home theater, particularly the "5.1" experience. I would encourage you to read up in the Home Theater board to make sure you understand the limitations before buying.

Worst case, if you don't like how things go with the Play 1s grouped to Playbase they could be migrated over to your kitchen. I always recommend 2x Play 1 whenever possible, as I find the listening experience much improved over a single Play 1 or Play 3.
Thank you for your reply! Yes I will propably get a sub later on. And I think I will go for two 1:s as rear. The 1:s esthetically fits better and if no one says the 3:s are much better for music only combined with the Playbase I`ll go for the 1.