Sonos Playbar vs Sonos Beam w/ 2 Sonos Play 1

• 15 October 2018
  • 7 replies

So as the title states. I am looking to spend around $700. For that I can get a Playbar or a Beam with 2 Play 1's. My setup will be used 80% for music and 20% for sports and movies. Any opinions or help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hmmm... thats a good question. I would go with the Beam just because I like the HDMI connection better.
Whereas I'd go with the PLAYBAR, because I like a fuller and wider sound. But I'd probably wait 6 months to see if they come out with a new version. Of course, given my luck, 90 days after I purchased, they'd release a new one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd be tempted to go with the new Sonos Amp if you have some good speakers now, not available right away but the 80% music and my love of a great stereo image puts me off the single point stereo/multi-channel systems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Stand alone I'm not a beam fan. With rears and sonos sub you have a great combo.

Stand alone the playbar is a great speaker. Sub helps it a little more but I don't think it really needs rears.

Playbase is one I don't have and with a little better bass than playbar it probably is the best sounding I would assume.

I do agree with Stanley that the new Sonos Amp is a nice package!
Userlevel 7
Hi Shirman

If you are a purist when it comes to listening to music you want to do it in a seated position with the L/R channels in front in a two speaker configuration. Neither a Playbar, Playbase nor Beam IMO will give you that type of experience. I have two Play 5's (Gen 2) upfront with a Sonos HT setup in the same room (Playbar/Sub/Play 3 for surrounds).

Now moving on...for the non-purist you might consider the Beam and Play 1 x 2. You'll get HT and music capability. When all three (3) are balanced using TruePlay music playback fills a room adequately. If you lower the volume on the Beam the stereo effect is somewhat reversed versus the actual recording in a seated position. It isn't necessarily a deal breaker assuming your main objective is to fill the room with sound. FYI, I have this setup using Sonos One's for surrounds in another room.

Now as Stanley mentioned you might wait for the Sonos Amp as you can use it with your TV and your own wired speakers. Everything will be up-front for movies, sports and music and you'll save some funds for use later elsewhere. You can even run a 3rd party sub if you have one. Hopefully it is the same brand as the speakers you might use; but it's not required to be.

I hope you have enough information to make an informed decision.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your an use play speakers a rears with the Sonos amp as front/center. You don’t have to use Sonos amp for rears.
Userlevel 7
Your an use play speakers a rears with the Sonos amp as front/center. You don’t have to use Sonos amp for rears.

Thanks Chris

I was still thinking of 3rd party speakers for surrounds as well. Rather than confuse I just deleted the last portion of my post.

Cheers!