Answered

Sonos Playbar, Sonos Sub & 2 In-Ceiling Speakers - Will this work?

• 22 October 2016
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I plan on mounting a TV in the open space family area, I already have two in-ceiling speakers that I would like to work in conjunction with the TV.

I would also like to purchase the following:
- Sonos Playbar that would be mounted below the TV on-wall
- Sonos Sub is on the floor to the right of the TV
- Use the 2 in-ceiling speakers

For all of this to work together, I believe the following setup is needed.

- Sonos playbar would need a CAT5 cable to connect directly to a Sonos Connect Amp
- Sonos playbar would also have the optical connection to the TV
- 2 in-ceiling speakers run speaker wire directly to the Sonos Connect Amp

In this setup when I turn on my TV will the in-ceiling speakers automatically be used?

If I don't have the TV on and only want to use the in-ceiling speakers for music - Can I use the sonos app to configure a zone without the playbar just for music?

The in-ceiling speakers will be over the couch and won't be behind the couch - Should I be concerned about the in-ceiling speaker location since this setup is like a 5.1 setup if the playbar acts as the front-right, center front-left speaker?

Thanks in advance for any input.
icon

Best answer by Stuart_W 23 October 2016, 17:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

As well as the Connect:amp being wired to the Playbar you will also need the Playbar wired to your network in order to use the connect:amp speakers as surrounds, you won't be able to use Wi-Fi mode.

You can't also configure the Connect:amp as a separate stereo setup but you can set the rear speakers to Full in the app settings, which amounts to the same thing for music, although the music will still come out of the Playbar (and sub, which is the best bit).

The rear speaker location will probably be fine, provided they're wide of the listening position, if they're directly overhead you may not get much left/right separation.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks LHC for the information

If I connect the Sonos Playbar via CAT to the Sonos Amp and connect it directly to my network - You mentioned the wireless will not work. Not sure I understand what the impact of this will be? I am assuming the Sonos App will still work properly.

For the Sonos Subwoofer, will it connect via Wifi to the network and find that it is connected to the Sonos Playbar & 2 speakers in the setup above?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I noticed there is a Subwoofer Out on the Sonos Connect AMP - Do I need to connect it in the setup that I am trying to achieve?

I would also like to purchase the following:
- Sonos Playbar that would be mounted below the TV on-wall
- Sonos Sub is on the floor to the right of the TV
- Use the 2 in-ceiling speakers

For all of this to work together, I believe the following setup is needed.

- Sonos playbar would need a CAT5 cable to connect directly to a Sonos Connect Amp
- Sonos playbar needs to have a direct CAT5 cable directly to the network as well
- Sonos playbar would also have the optical connection to the TV
- 2 in-ceiling speakers run speaker wire directly to the Sonos Connect Amp

Question is do I need to run a cable from the subwoofer out on the Sonos Connect Amp to my Sonos Subwoofer?
Userlevel 7
Question is do I need to run a cable from the subwoofer out on the Sonos Connect Amp to my Sonos Subwoofer?

The Sonos Sub can only be BONDED to a speaker there is no input for a cable of any sort.

Regarding the rest of your setup --- The LHC can correct me on this if it isn't possible...but if you are running into a placement issue (i.e. distance to your router) to connect your Playbar to your network you could probably introduce a Boost as the direct Ethernet connection to setup the SonosMesh. All the other configs discussed would remain the same.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks AJTrek1!

I was worried when LHC said I wouldn't be able to use the wifi mode when I run the CAT5 cables to the playbar. So the Sonos Subwoofer will be configured wireless to "bond" to playbar & 2 in-ceiling speakers that will be connected to the Sonos Connect Amp.

Thanks again for the help.
Userlevel 7
Thanks AJTrek1!

I was worried when LHC said I wouldn't be able to use the wifi mode when I run the CAT5 cables to the playbar. So the Sonos Subwoofer will be configured wireless to "bond" to playbar & 2 in-ceiling speakers that will be connected to the Sonos Connect Amp.

Whoa...philster!

You are correct regarding the Sonos Sub bonding. However, I wasn't suggesting that by introducing a Sonos Boost (or Boost mode) to your setup that you would be able to use Wifi. Boost has a dual meaning for Sonos:

1. Boost mode is established anytime a Sonos speaker (excluding the Sonos Sub) is connected to a network via Ethernet cable
2. Boost mode is established when a PHYSICAL Sonos Boost is integrated as a component. Click the link to learn more about the Sonos Boost:

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/boost.html?_ga=1.75676693.1617335766.1473897203

For your configuration the Boost mode is required either by direct connection via ethernet cable to a Sonos speaker or a PHYSICAL Sonos Boost. Click the link for more information relevant to your setup:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248/kw/Connect%20amp%20setup

FYI, the Boost mode will always produce a stronger and more stable signal vs home WiFi. I hope this clears up any misconceptions caused by my previous post 🆒

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Ajtrek1 - I will check out the boost.

I was just speaking with Sonos technical support. they are saying that I don't need to have a CAT5 connection to the network or Sonos Connect Amp - just setup the playbar wirelessly; the subwoofer is connected wirelessly; 2 in-ceiling speakers connect to the sonos connect amp.

- create a zone 1 in the app, which connects the playbar, subwoofer and 2 in-ceiling speakers
- playbar is connected to the TV via optical cable
- create a zone 2 in the app, for only the 2 in-ceiling speakers so when I just want to play music through them and not the playbar/subwoofer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248?_ga=1.118346889.1296342829.1464799860
Userlevel 7
Did you explain to Sonos Tech Support that you intend to use the in ceiling speakers as surrounds?
Thanks Ajtrek1 - I will check out the boost.

I was just speaking with Sonos technical support. they are saying that I don't need to have a CAT5 connection to the network or Sonos Connect Amp - just setup the playbar wirelessly; the subwoofer is connected wirelessly; 2 in-ceiling speakers connect to the sonos connect amp.

- create a zone 1 in the app, which connects the playbar, subwoofer and 2 in-ceiling speakers
- playbar is connected to the TV via optical cable
- create a zone 2 in the app, for only the 2 in-ceiling speakers so when I just want to play music through them and not the playbar/subwoofer.

So do you want the in ceiling speakers to be surround sound speakers for the Playbar or not?
Userlevel 2
Badge
yes, i told him that I wanted to have the in-ceiling speakers as surround speakers to work in conjunction with the sonos playbar and sonos subwoofer.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I just read the link on setting up surrounds

"Wire both the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP to either your router, a single network switch, or to each other, using an Ethernet cable."

so if i have the playbar and conect: amp connected to my router then I am good to go?

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248?_ga=1.118346889.1296342829.1464799860
Userlevel 2
Badge
BTW: thanks for all the help, very much appreciate it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I just read the link on setting up surrounds

"Wire both the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP to either your router, a single network switch, or to each other, using an Ethernet cable."

so if i have the playbar and conect: amp connected to my router then I am good to go?

I should think so
Userlevel 7
Hi Philster

You say you just read the link. Just curious... did you miss the link in my post from 12 hours ago regarding setting up ceiling speakers with Connect: Amp?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Ajtrek1 - I pressed on the first link which took me to information about the boost but missed the reading the 2nd link - I thought that I had it all the connections figured out before I spoke with the Sonos tech support folks which put me into a spin again.

Appreciate the help

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Philster

You say you just read the link. Just curious... did you miss the link in my post from 12 hours ago regarding setting up ceiling speakers with Connect: Amp?
Hi

I've just read your enquiry and I have exactly the same situation. Wondering if you got it resolved. I am finding conflciting answers to what I did hope would be quite a simple situation. My main query is whetehr either the Playbar or Connect Amp need to be hard wired to the router or can they be connected via my TP Link connection via my plug sockets.

I am finding the links that have been sent to you are not of help