Answered

Sonos Play bar, with Connect:Amp driving 2 rear + sub woofer

• 9 December 2018
  • 7 replies

I had my receiver ports go bad on me, and instead of replacing it, I decided to get a play bar.

Overall, it sounds nice, but I would like to take advantage of my other components which are now sitting idle.

I have a very nice sub, and rear channel speakers. So what I am trying to figure out is if I purchase the connect:amp, would I be able to power the rear speakers, and also include the sub (self powered).

I read through the FAQ here https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US , which addresses the speakers. It looks like those would be driven properly. So it really just ends up dealing with the sub.

My ultimate goal is to utilize what I already have by purchasing the connect:amp. It would save me a lot of money, and the speakers I can't confirm are 'better' than purchasing Sonos 1, but I do not have power where they would be located... which would required a lot more work and expense. The sub I know is very good quality, and keeping JUST that would make this solution work in my favor.

I just purchased the playbar from Costco today and I'm giving it a fair shot!
icon

Best answer by John B 9 December 2018, 00:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I am afraid that for technical reasons the sub connection is disabled when the Connect:Amp is used for surrounds. Btw, you know the C:A is being replaced?
If you have front L/R speakers too then two new Sonos Amps would allow you to use the subwoofer and rear speakers. The Playbar would be redundant
I don't know how I hit the flag as answered, not sure how to unflag from the phone.

I'm looking to power 2 rear speakers and a sub, that's it... Not an additional pair of fronts.

I don't really understand why "technical reasons" the sub is disabled. When would the sub be enabled? Only if the speakers are not in use?

I was not aware it's being discontinued, makes sense as it's on sale everywhere.
I was trying to offer you an option that allowed you to use your sub, as that seemed important to you. You cannot use it as you were hoping to.
The sub is enabled when the Connect:Amp is used for what it was designed for,, which was to play music through a pair of hifi speakers and optionally a sub.
The sub is enabled when the Connect:Amp is used for what it was designed for,, which was to play music through a pair of hifi speakers and optionally a sub.

So the new AMP would be the same scenario it looks like? I'm reading up on it because I didn't realize it was the new and improved version. In which case, would TWO amps correct my problem? But at that point, I've spent more than just buying the Sonos Sub itself.

The system I'm replacing is what I would consider 'pretty good', from sonance. Roughly $3k in speakers. However, when initially purchased, it was in a much better room environment. We've since moved and with the architecture of the home, it just doesn't have a place anymore. With the receiver dying, and hopefully being able to sell off my front/center/right, I was just hoping to still utilize my rears and sub.

I have everything up on ebay right now, and if it sells I'll just go with an Amp to do my rears, and the Sonos Sub. I'll break about even I think. The rookie-audiophile in me thinks I'm getting the short of of the stick. But the logical part of me knows I probably couldn't tell the difference anyway.
I think that is a good decision. I suspect two Amps running four speakers and either your existing sub or the Sonos Sub might be marginally better, although I am waiting for the Amp to go on sale in the UK, so cannot be sure.

I hope and expect that you will really enjoy the setup.