Sonos Play 1s with Beam for music only?

• 25 September 2018
  • 3 replies

I’ve not found an answer for this despite much searching, so....

Has anyone experience of using Play 1s with a Beam as an additional speaker for classical music?

I have 2 play 1s and an almost dead soundbar which I am considering replacing with a Beam. I would only use the Beam for TV, not worried about surround, but I do a lot of music listening and my room is reasonably sized and I wondered if the Beam could add any depth to the listening. The Beam and and TV are/would be at the other end of the room from the 2 Play 1s.

Any thoughts, help much appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Traveller

The Beam will add music to your set-up of having the Play 1's at the other end of your room in Stereo pair. As far as adding depth it depends on where the center of the room is. Meaning that at dead center it may appear that sound is localized to one end of the room or the other (not blended) depending upon where your ears are focused. Then again it could blend together with minimal direction detection. In any case the sound characteristics of the Beam versus the Play 1's in stereo pair will be different. If you have an iOS device using TruePlay that may help. My suggestion is to purchase the Beam from a retailer with a liberal return policy and listen for yourself. In the end only your EARS can make the final decision.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In my experience with Beam it doesn't add anything for music. It's just not as musical as say - the playbar.

I would get a second pair of Play:1s for the other side of room and group the two pairs together.
Thanks for those replies. Really useful. The Beam sounds great; just need my old Bose to finally die to justify the cost of replacement!