Answered

Sonos One query

• 6 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello,

Does the Sonos One have two speakers, i.e. does it play true stereo?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by John B 6 January 2021, 14:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It has a tweeter and a woofer, but it is not stereo.

Many thanks for that! Shame, have to think differently then. I’ve got three rooms with hard wired stereo ceiling speakers and just wanted one stereo one that I can move to the other rooms that are less used.

cheers

If it were stereo, it would essentially sound the same, given the total absence of separation. To me this is a total non-issue.

You could buy a One SL ad well and set up a stereo pair, which.sounds superb given the size of the speakers. 

Perhaps it is semantics; what do you understand by a stereo speaker? In terms of what one does?

Userlevel 7

Hi @CharlieS1985 

@jgatie and @John B are correct. Furthermore a stand alone speaker that claims to be stereo will soon sound like a mono speaker after about 5-6 feet distance away (maybe less).

If you want portability I suggest you consider the Sonos Move. Great sound that IMO sounds better than a single Sonos One/SL. Two Moves when connected to Wi-Fi provide true portable stereo sound.

Many thanks everyone, really helpful answers.

I'm really pleased with the speed and detail for my first community!

I’ll probably get a One and once I hear what it’s like will consider an SL to give a stereo capability (not speaker, thanks Kumar!).

Cheers and stay safe 

I’ll probably get a One and once I hear what it’s like will consider an SL to give a stereo capability

Note that only identical models can stereo pair such that each plays only one of the left or right channel. 

PS: I now see that for this purpose, One and SL are identical models inasmuch as they can be stereo paired!