Question

Sonos One/Play:1 and direct streaming

• 6 February 2018
  • 7 replies

I'm currently thinking of buying a Sonos speaker mainly for streaming music from my old Macbook Pro 2009. I don't have an iPhone and/or use any sort of music streaming stuff such as Spotify or Apple Music as I'm still quite old fashioned.
So the setup is quite easy. I have all my mp3's on my computer which I play through either iTunes or VLC.

My question is, if it is possible to play the music on my computer and listen to it on the Sonos, without having to use their app. I don't need to control it (increasing volume, skipping song, etc.) using Sonos. All I really do need it is to have sound coming out of the wireless speaker without any extra app.

Is that possible or does it always needs the fancy Sonos app?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos is NOT as PC Speaker system. You can play music stored on your PC through using the app, but the PC/MAC must be accessible via wireless and not in sleep mode. You will need an app to set it up in the first place and you will need to check the version of Mac OS is supported, which give in is 2009 may be an issue.

You can connect via audio line in from the sound output of your Mac to a suitable Sonos device (Connect or Play 5) but you would still need an app on some device to do the set up.

You can get cheap android tablets for less than £50 / $50 these days which will do the job.

If you want speakers to just play the sounds from your Mac via the audio output then there are plenty of Computer speaker systems to chose from.
Sonos is NOT as PC Speaker system. (...)
If you want speakers to just play the sounds from your Mac via the audio output then there are plenty of Computer speaker systems to chose from.

Well, first I have to say that I'm not a computer illiterate 🙂. I'm actually a programmer so I do know that Sonos is not a PC Speaker system.
The only reason I don't want to use the app is because I can't really cope with the fact that you need an extra app to play music, when you already have iTunes, or something else. Airplay has been around for years, and it worked perfectly well before.

Second the reason why I wanted a SONOS system, is because the price/quality for the audio they offer, is still better than most speakers you can find. I have some old speakers lying around, but they are not wireless, and even if I would plug it to an Apple Airport Express, they wouldn't be as convenient as a SONOS.
So unfortunately this doesn't really answer my question, but it might have been that I wasn't clear enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Apologies, forgot about Airplay 😃 Airplay is supported and Airplay 2 is coming, soon(whatever that means). Not sure how they fare on a 2009 Mac (an equivalent PC would be useless by now, but I know Macs have a longer life). Not used a MAC since PowerPC so not sure how it s set up. Fine Airplay useless on my iPhone and quite happy with the app from Sonos.

You will still need the app for set up though. Besides the MAC and PC Sonos apps are very good, a little old but none the worse for it, and a shed load better than iTunes IMHO. I do find it odd that you cannot cope with the extra app. That's IT in a nutshell for the last 10 years 😞 Everything in an app. Tedious I know but can't cope seems a little first world problem 😉
I do find it odd that you cannot cope with the extra app. That's IT in a nutshell for the last 10 years 😞 Everything in an app. Tedious I know but can't cope seems a little first world problem ;)

I'm a purist when it gets to IT. I compare it to using a microwave. Imagine that every time you wanted to warm some food, you needed to clap twice, press a button on your computer, and open the window. It's exactly the same thing with streaming music to a wireless speaker. If iTunes works well, why should I have something else? But ok I can open an exception.

Apologies, forgot about Airplay 😃 Airplay is supported and Airplay 2 is coming, soon(whatever that means). Not sure how they fare on a 2009 Mac (an equivalent PC would be useless by now, but I know Macs have a longer life). Not used a MAC since PowerPC so not sure how it s set up. Fine Airplay useless on my iPhone and quite happy with the app from Sonos.

Does SONOS actually support Airplay 1? I had the idea that there was some sort of extra stuff needed for that.
Badge +20
Sonos does not support Airplay 1, and but there are third party utilities than can help. Or if you have a Sonos device with line in then you can hook up an Airport Express.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And airplay 2 support is coming.
Badge +20
And airplay 2 support is coming.

But as mentioned by Sonos staff on this forum you will need a Sonos One or Playbase but no information beyond that.