Question

Sonos Move, Five, or Marshall Woburn 2? going crazy here

• 13 August 2020
  • 2 replies

I tend to try and do as much online research as I can before a big purchase.  I’m at the point where my head is about to spin.  I’m looking for a great quality speaker that I can use inside the house, but I would also like to use in the outside unattached garage from time to time.  I don’t mind a heavy bulky unit either, as it will really be just between a particular room, and like I stated the garage.

I was first set on the Move for it’s all around versatility with WiFi and Bluetooth.  The Sonos Five got my attention with what I am reading has a superior sound, but no Bluetooth.  I loose my WiFi while in garage with my iPhone, as well as an early edition echo, so I don’t think the Five would reach WiFi in the garage, though I have read that I could set up auto play and use an aux cord.  Again, I know the Five is big and bulky, I don’t mind carrying it to garage.  Also I just started reading about the Marshall Woburn 2, which gets great audio reviews and really has my attention at the moment, but only has Bluetooth.  (Again I realize it’s big and bulky).

Now for price comparison.  The Move is $400, a Best Buy nearby has an open box buy on the Five at $400, and the Marshall is $450.  I don’t have any other Sonos products, if I went with one of those, it would be the first.  I don’t know if there is a big difference playing audio through Bluetooth or WiFi, as I’m perfectly fine playing audio through the different apps on my phone.  

Thanks for any help or opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I can’t comment on the Marshall Woburn 2 as I have never heard one. Also, sound is always very subjective and I guess it also depends on what you want to listen to.

If you are into sitting down and listening to quality stereo hi-fi then a single Move will probably disappoint. But as a good quality portable speaker it does very well. I have one of them and it is very capable of filling even a decent sized room with sound. Be warned though that Sonos products do tend to be addictive!

I would say go with the Move as a starter, linked to wi-fi when inside your house so you can take full advantage of the Sonos App. Then use it on bluetooth in your garage. Be aware though that in Bluetooth mode you can only stream to it like a regular bluetooth speaker. The Sonos App won’t work on Bluetooth.

At a later stage, if you want to improve the sound stage inside, you could add a second Move and set them up as a stereo pair using the Sonos App. They won’t work as a stereo pair when using Bluetooth. 

Just my thoughts. Others may think differently.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Pardon my english If it sounds weird since its not my modern language, i have the woburn, its good plays really Loud, but it Will disappoint you in the end, i played for hours and hours, and after about 3 months i had to turn the bass down to about 2-3 out of 10 cus it couldnt keep up anymore, sonos however i can play at the loudest all the time and nerver have any issues at all...Sonos also sounds more clear, goes deeper, and is overall a very good speaker, If u choose the move/sl/five they are all great, the woburn is also heavy to move around and u need power, the move is about 50% of the weight and u got 11 hours playtime on it, go with sonos If u Ask me.