Answered

sonos move

Badge

Hello, I’m in a bit of a stand still on what to buy. Originally I wanted to get the Sonos out door speakers however the amp is sold out and I need them ASAP. (One of my questions with this is; with the Sonos amp and outdoor speakers, can they all be connected to my complete Sonos wireless home system(ark/ one/ one/ sub)? To be able to play the same music inside and outside at the same time?) 

second option is getting 2 sonos moves. Now with this, is it worth it? Or should I wait for the amp and outdoor speakers? I also have the same question with this- can I link all the sonos equipment inside and outside to play the same music with the 2 sonos moves? 

last question I will be putting a tv outside. How can I connect my tv to the sonos outdoor speakers if I do end up going that route? I already found out the Sonos move cannot be connected to a tv. 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 12 July 2021, 19:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Because you plan to use outdoor TV, I would perhaps wait to get the Amp, but the Move sounds great outdoors and yes it can play in sync with the rest of your Sonos system providing that all devices are on the same wireless LAN subnet… as a temporary measure if you can get a WiFi/SonosNet signal outdoors you can take your existing Sonos devices outside with a power extension. 

NB: if you cannot get a WiFi signal outdoors then you cannot ‘pair’ Sonos Move’s over Bluetooth - it is possible to ‘group’ them, but to do that you need a dual-stream Bluetooth audio transmitter, preferably rechargeable for use outside. (Available via Amazon).

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths  Thank you for the reply! Ok so perhaps I’ll mount some Sonos moves in here as a temporary fix. I feel like having a move is essential anyways so it would’ve been a buy in the future. Now- when I get the amp and have it wired in my patio for out door so is speakers do you know if I can leave the amp in my patio or should I take it Inside every time when I’m done being outside? This is what it looks like so far so the only elements the amp will be subject to are the hot and cold maybe wind and dust but no water. 

The amp isn’t designed to operate outside, nor is it a good idea to be moving it around all the time.  Ideally, you would want to have the amp inside your house with wire and hdmi cable going to your TV and speakers.  That could become rather problematic though if your patio location is a good 50 feet or more away from your house.  In that case, I would look at getting an outdoor enclosure for the amp, to protect it from the elements, fans to keep it cool, power, etc.   Google “sonos amp outdoor enclosure” for a few different options. 

That looks like quite a ‘project’. I would run ‘all’ the cables required to the location and use some kind of weatherproof outdoor enclosure too. Sonos Moves are good, but the Amp would be the better option (or both).

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths @melvimbe  Thank you guys for your input. I really appreciate it 

Badge

What line do y’all recommend I run for the out door speakers to the amp? I’m going to set it up with the out door amp enclosure 

I would certainly ‘consider’ perhaps looking at putting in both power and ethernet to the enclosure and at the planned TV location and a HDMI-ARC (passive) connection, to link from the enclosure to where the TV will be …and the required speaker cables. You will need WiFi there at the very least to operate the controller devices, that’s if it’s some distance from your Home.

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths Ok this is doable the whole patio is wired already with power for the lights/ fan etc. and has 4 outlets. Do I just get any speaker cables or do you recommend a certain brand? I  just need to take the drywall back off and run the speaker wires that’s the tricky part haha 

Sonos has a good chart for what gauge wire to use.   If you use a thinner wire than recommended, you won’t get the best audio quality from your speakers.  You can use a thicker wire, but thicker wires can be a little harder to work with.  Make sure you get one that is UL rated for inwall (CL2) and/or outdoor (CL3) use.

I actually just put in some new speakers with the this wire, which I bought several months back and I thought was properly rated.  Now I’m not so sure and am wondering if I should rewire things.

Badge

Ok got it I will use the right guage CL3 wire! Let me know how the rewire goes !👍🏻