Sonos Five - still worth buying?

• 27 November 2023
  • 5 replies

I was about to buy a Sonos Five speaker (discounted now) because we’re moving and I will switch to Sonos. But I just found out, the speaker was released in 2020. I don’t need it immediately and I am willing to wait a few months. Haven’t found any info online either if a new version is in the pipeline. Of course there is the ERA 300 but since I’m listening to non Dolby Atmos music most of the time, the Five might still be the better choice?  Also: I will connect my Technics SL-1200 and listen to records.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

It is most definitely still worth buying. The Five is Sonos’ best-sounding speaker for music in stereo. If you have it in your budget, consider getting two to create a stereo pair.

Sonos products tends to release products with longevity.  The current Five is really not much different than it’s predecessor Play:5, other than a few minor tweaks that really have nothing to do with the overall sound quality. As well. if a new feature is software based and the Five has the hardware to implement the feature you’ll likely get that feature added through an update/

It’s possible that Sonos could come out with a new version of the Five, essentially a bigger version of the Era 300, but there are no rumors of that, and it seems unlikely that will be better for stereo sound, have the same price, etc.  As well, Sonos products retain their value no the secondary market very well.  If I were looking to get a pair of Fives right now, I wouldn’t hesitate on this deal.

Thanks for your answers. I’ve made my decision 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sound aside, the 300 isn’t a pretty thing, the Five is much easier to get spousal approval for.

I spend about 75% of my time listening to a single Five and have no regrets.

Badge +20

Sound aside, the 300 isn’t a pretty thing, the Five is much easier to get spousal approval for.

I spend about 75% of my time listening to a single Five and have no regrets.

Equally… my wife much prefers the organic shape of the 300 and loves how the sound fills our living room (read small / average UK sized room).