Sonos desktop speakers?

• 14 September 2017
  • 13 replies

Hey sonos friends, I'm considering adding a play bar or play base to our home office, but was wondering if anyone heard of any desktop sonos speaker products on the horizon. My wife has a very old set of computer speakers that could use some upgrading. It would be great if it was a sonos system since it can remain always on. I considered a connect amp but I'm not sure the product is designed to work with displays since it has the audio delay. The play bar, and base are intriguing since they are designed for screens but their size don't quite work with the desk. Anyone else use a similar setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Sonos don't make computer speakers that will wirelessly play all that can be heard via the computer's headphone socket or speakers; they aren't in that market. And of the ones they make, only a 5 unit has a line in jack that will so play, if wired to the headphone socket of the computer. But that is also too large for desktops.

I use a pair of play 1 units on my desktop that play music from my NAS or from internet music services/radio, which is what I like hear when at work and for that, they are brilliant.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The Bose computer speakers have multiple line-in jacks, so you can run a Connect as well as your computer off of the same set of speakers, and sound quite good.

Either leave the speakers at a fixed volume and adjust on the device (what I do) or use the speaker's variable volume control and set the Sonos volume out to fixed.
Badge
Is it possible to run the playbar/base with optical out from PC?

If so, would that basically act as a pc speaker? IT would be a very expensive desktop speaker, but it would give you a ton of flexibility as well.

Tony
The Bose computer speakers have multiple line-in jacks, so you can run a Connect as well as your computer off of the same set of speakers, and sound quite good.

Either leave the speakers at a fixed volume and adjust on the device (what I do) or use the speaker's variable volume control and set the Sonos volume out to fixed.

Yeah, I was considering the connect in our office as well. I currently have a little NAD 3020 amp with multiple inputs and a couple of bookshelf speakers at my workstation. But, what I'm trying to do is find something for my wifes workstation to replace her old desktop system. I think the play bar is probably the closest solution, but it still is quite large, it might not be to her liking.... Although the cheapest and adequate solution is probably to just to add a play 1 and have another system in the office.

If so, would that basically act as a pc speaker? IT would be a very expensive desktop speaker, but it would give you a ton of flexibility as well.

Tony

Yes, you can definitely run optical out from PC to the input of the playbar/base. I was actually more concerned about the size and wanted to see if anyone else out there did the same thing at their PC setup.
Badge
A wall mounted playbar it is.... Only the best for the wife 🙂.

Tony

Yes, you can definitely run optical out from PC to the input of the playbar/base. I was actually more concerned about the size and wanted to see if anyone else out there did the same thing at their PC setup.
LOL! But seriously, only want to give her the best.

A wall mounted playbar it is.... Only the best for the wife 🙂.

Tony

Although the cheapest and adequate solution is probably to just to add a play 1 and have another system in the office.
As long as you don't want it to play YouTube or whatever else is being played by the computer speakers - it won't do that.
Very much doubt the Playbar will work very well nearfield. A pair of Play:1s in nearfield, however, rival the sound quality of any monitor in their size range. They sound awesome.
I would even not add the qualification - "in their size range". Anything much larger won't sit on a desktop in a manner that permits near field listening in stereo. And the sound I get from them near field on my desktop, floating out from behind and around the computer isn't beaten by any speaker I have heard in a larger room from a more distant position. For one thing, there is very little room acoustics effect on the desktop to sully their sound.

The only hitch is that they won't work as computer speakers.
Badge
i have these on my desktop...but they're only 3.5 ft apart
which i know is not ideal (so i've dialed back the bass a few notches),
despite truetone calibration.

a few questions please:
i'm thinking of buying some stands to spread these apart further to 6'-8'.
1/would i need to recalibrate with true tone again?
2/any generic speaker stands on can suggest?
i have the gray play 1s.
i have these on my desktop...but they're only 3.5 ft apart
which i know is not ideal (so i've dialed back the bass a few notches),
despite truetone calibration.

a few questions please:
i'm thinking of buying some stands to spread these apart further to 6'-8'.
1/would i need to recalibrate with true tone again?
2/any generic speaker stands on can suggest?
i have the gray play 1s.

1 - Yes, I would run Trueplay again to get optimal performance.
2 - The stands available on this site will work well. I have a pair of the Sanus stands for play:1 and have no issues with them at all.
Badge
thanks...can you tilt the speakers up/down a bit as well on the sonos stands?