Answered

Sonos Connect upgrade?

• 1 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi! - I have a Sonos system (2 Play 1’s as surrounds, Playbar) and also a Connect which I use to link my turntable to the system. Since the Connect is a legacy item, I’ve looked to shield from S2 updates. However, it is getting more and more difficult to avoid e.g. today both Play 1’s went ‘missing’ and the app tells me I have to update to S2 to sort it out.

So, 2 questions:

1. Is there any way I can ‘find’ those missing speakers whilst continuing to use S1, or
  2. If I have to bite the bullet, what is the best upgrade option to replace my Connect... Port? Amp?

Any help, much appreciated - thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 January 2021, 17:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

1. Try a refresh of your network. Unplug all Sonos devices from power. While they are unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug in your Sonos devices, wait a minute or two for them to boot up, then test. 

2. The ‘direct’ replacement for a CONNECT is a Port. The ‘direct’ replacement for a CONNECT:AMP is an Amp. 

Hi Bruce - thanks for this - much appreciated :-)

Jon

Hi Bruce - just to let you know that refreshing the network did the trick - many thanks :-)

If you want, looking in to your router’s manual and setting up reserved IP addresses would be a more permanent way to keep this from happening again. Or, when needed, performing the refresh will certainly work again.

If you see it again, it will be triggered by either power outages, or Sonos software updates. In both cases, the system requests new IP addresses from the router, and if the router is in a ‘bad’ state, it can hand out duplicate IP addresses. And Sonos (or any other device, for that matter) can’t tell.