Answered

Sonos Connect to Sonos Sub

• 20 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello Everyone,

Once again I think my Sonos expectations were incorrect and I did not do the research. I got a Sonos Sub (gen 3) today and realized that it will probably not pair up with my Sonos Connect.

In my Livingroom I have the Connect patched into an Onkyo Receiver/Amp with a set of Wharfedale Diamond (WD) speakers.

I wanted the Sub to mirror what was being streamed in or out of the Connect so that the sub would back up those WDs that are in the living room (TV/Music etc.).

I have a Play 5 in one bedroom, a Five in another bedroom, a Move (useless here) in another room and a Boost (also useless here that I bought years ago).

I grabbed the 5s and brought them into the living room to hear this Sub, but that is not the ideal setup. Linking the Sub to the 5s (that are in other rooms) is also not the ideal setup (Playing three dimensional volume/level adjustments etc.).

To be honest I am not sure that the 5s need the Sub unless you get to very-very high volumes (to do the heavy bass lifting for added clarity).

If I can’t use the Sub together with the Connect the Sub would only be used for large outdoor parties (we only throw 4-5 a year) where I bring the 5s outside. This utilization is probably not worth the money (I am not even sure how well the Sub works outdoors)

Is there anyway to hook up the sub to the Connect (possibly as an output from the Onkyo/TV)?

Based on these message boards I think I already have my answer.

Thank you,

JL

icon

Best answer by jgatie 20 March 2021, 01:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No.  The Sub cannot be bonded with a Connect because the outputlevel of the Sub has no idea what the post amplification of the Connect output consists of.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

jgatie,

I appreciate you getting back to me. I thought it was either that or a hardware issue.

That said, if this is the reason it is (IMO) a really bad reason. I can make all the adjustments myself (keep the Onkyo volume sstatic adjust the Sub and turn up/down the volume in the Sonos app).

I can't believe they did not add this connectivity.

Does anyone know if the Sonos team may add (i.e. discussion) this software option in the future?

Thank you,

JL

Does anyone know if the Sonos team may add (i.e. discussion) this software option in the future?

We don’t know for certain, but this is VERY unlikely. Older CONNECT’s are S1 only and feature development has stopped for S1. Plus, we don’t know if CONNECT has enough processing power to run the crossover function.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Buzz,

I appreciate it. Yeah I was also thinking that the Connect would perhaps have to process/buffer (may be incorrect terms) the Wi-Fi stream to make it all sync up and maybe the hardware can’t handle it.

I will have to try this thing in the backyard and see if it is worth it. I unfortunately may need to return it.

Thank you,

JL