Answered

Sonos Beam with Play 1/Play 3

• 27 November 2020
  • 8 replies

I currently have a Play 1 and Play 3, which I know are older and not compatible with the newest of apps for Sonos. I am considering getting a Sonos Beam. 

Questions are, will my existing speakers link together with the Beam should I purchase one? Or will they require different apps to use them due to older ones age?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 November 2020, 20:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The Play:1, Play:3 and the Sonos Beam are all compatible to work together in an S2 modern system, using a single App - the latest Sonos S2 App works with all those products.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Geniusiron.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand where you’re coming from, let me help you out.

I would like to add on top of what @Ken_Griffiths have provided. Let us go through these FAQs to better understand and before deciding what and how to proceed.

1. Sonos S2 compatibility - to know what devices work with s1 only, s2 only,  or can both work with either s1 and s2 Sonos App.

2. How to create a stereo pair - to know how stereo pairs work as they have the same rules when adding Sonos Speakers as surrounds (need 2 Sonos device of the same model). Your Sonos Play 1 and Play 3 cannot be used to create a stereo pair and therefore cannot be used to add as surrounds unless what you have is either 2 play 1s or 2 play 3s.

3. Add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater - to have an idea on how to add surrounds once you have decided what Sonos home theater speaker to pursue.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thank you for this response.

When downloading the S2 app it says straight away ‘The system includes products that aren’t compatible with S2’ despite my Play 1 and Play 3 being on the S2 compatible list.

Could this be the bridge I have connected to the system? If so, could I remove the bridge or is it required for the Play 1 and Play 3?

As you can tell, I’m a novice really.

Thank you for this response.

When downloading the S2 app it says straight away ‘The system includes products that aren’t compatible with S2’ despite my Play 1 and Play 3 being on the S2 compatible list.

Could this be the bridge I have connected to the system? If so, could I remove the bridge or is it required for the Play 1 and Play 3?

As you can tell, I’m a novice really.

Yes, it’s the Bridge that is the issue, as that is an S1 only device (and virtually obsolete anyway) - assuming you wish to move the system over to S2, you can either:

• Switch your system to run on the local WiFi signal and then simply remove the Bridge
  • Trade-up the Bridge and get a discounted new Sonos Boost to replace it.
  • Wire one of your existing speakers to the router

Those are the options open to you. You may find this link useful to read before deciding:

Choosing between a wireless (WiFi) and wired (SonosNet) Setup

Really helpful. Thanks.

Once crossed over to S2 and then purchased a Beam, would I just be able to use the Beam and Play1/Play3 in the app rather than them all playing at once?

Have I understood that correctly?

Really helpful. Thanks.

Once crossed over to S2 and then purchased a Beam, would I just be able to use the Beam and Play1/Play3 in the app rather than them all playing at once?

Have I understood that correctly?

Yes, you can use the speakers in the S2 Sonos app either ‘standalone’, or ‘grouped’ ...and have them all playing the same (or an entirely different) audio source, at the same time. It’s a very versatile system when you have the devices setup in your S2 household.

Thanks.

I am days away receiving a Sonos Beam and will therefore be removing my Bridge to hopefully accommodate the new S2 app for my speakers.

Do you foresee any issues doing this with my Beam alongside my current Play 1 and Play 3 speakers? Will these all work fine over wifi or will the Boost be a recommended additional purchase?

Thanks.

I am days away receiving a Sonos Beam and will therefore be removing my Bridge to hopefully accommodate the new S2 app for my speakers.

Do you foresee any issues doing this with my Beam alongside my current Play 1 and Play 3 speakers? Will these all work fine over wifi or will the Boost be a recommended additional purchase?

I think you will be fine with WiFi - at least try it first. I don’t see the point in buying a Boost for no reason. You could try it now to some degree by opening the mobile Sonos controller App and going to "Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup" and entering your routers 2.4ghz WiFi SSID name and password (case sensitive) and when done, simply uncable the Bridge and power it off. Then see how your speakers perform on your WiFi signal. If there are issues, you can cable back the Bridge and simply power it on again… and all will be back to normal.