Sonos Beam (Gen 2) fixed to the ceiling ?

• 7 January 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi there,

Is it ok to fix the Sonos Beam Gen 2 to the ceiling ?

The height of the ceiling is 2,5m (standard).

Another question about the sonos beam gen 2: would it work with the IKEA sonos symfonisk ?

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, the Beam could be mounted to a ceiling. I’m not sure why you would do this though.

Yes, a SYMFONISK speaker can be grouped with the Beam, or a pair of the same model SYMFONISK speakers can be bonded to the Beam as surrounds. 

I’d certainly concur with @GuitarSuperstar, there is little reason to affix a Sonos Beam to a ceiling...it would be very odd to have the sound not coming from the vicinity of the screen being watched. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The IKEAs are not listed in the tech specs section of the Beam G2 page.

Why do you need it on the ceiling? Is it impossible to mount it below your screen (best) or directly above it? There are several mounts that should help with that or you could make your own.

Userlevel 7

Hi

Below is an article I posted concerning the mounting of the Arc pre-Sonos Beam 2. So where ever the Arc is mentioned just substitute the Beam 2. Note: Although the Beam 2 does not have upward firing speakers the basics of speaker placement are the same.

Hi !

First of all, thank you for your replies thaï are vert helpful.

I would like to mount the beam to the ceiling because of the configuration of my video projector. With this configuration, if I want my beam below my screen I would have to mount it on my bookcase and my wife would probably kill me !

any advice is welcome :-)

I’ve no idea how you’d propose to fix the Beam. If you use the standard wall mount it would be firing down at the floor. If you screw it upside down to the ceiling the L/R channels would be the wrong way round.

Buy an acoustically transparent screen and mount it behind that.

Buy an acoustically transparent screen and mount it behind that.

Not sure how well that would work since it appears to be roll-down/motorized screen.  I’m guessing the wife wants full use of the bookshelf when not in use.

You use some sort of angle wooden block attached to the ceiling, so that with the Beam mounted to that, it points in the direction of the seating area.  Instead, I probably would go with a pair of bookshelf speakers (with Amp) placed in the bookshelf.  There surely is room, and I can’t see it messing up the aesthetics of the space so your wife is unhappy.  You won’t get atmos music, but you were not really going to get that effect anyway with your planned location and room layout.

And I don’t know if you have thought about this yet, but whether you get an Amp or a Beam, you need to connect the speaker to your projector, preferably by HDMI-ARC.  

Thank you all for your precious advices.

I will definitely add two Symfonisk to the beam. I can put them in the bookshelf or on the two side of the couch. I will do some testing when I will receive the Beam. Of course I won’t be able to enjoy Dolby Atmos but my video projector does not support eARC so it’s not a matter.

About HDMI-ARC, I will use an Amazon FireTV connected on my video projector and I will connect the sonos beam on the HMDI-ARC port. I read that could cause some sound delay when watching 4K movies. Is that right ? Therefore, I would have to use a HDMI splitter

For the main topic of this post, I thought using an adjustable wall mount of this type and mount it on the ceiling:

https://www.amazon.fr/Flexson-FLXBWM1021-Support-Mural-Ajustable/dp/B07F32P7F3/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1OLT50QPGSCRW&keywords=sonos%2Bbeam%2Bgen%2B2%2Bfixation&qid=1641568218&sprefix=sonos%2Bbeam%2Bgen%2B2%2Bfixation%2Caps%2C79&sr=8-9&th=1

Amazon Fire devices don’t have an HDMI-ARC port. They output regular HDMI. You could use an HDFury Arcana to split that HDMI, with the video to the projector and the audio over HDMI-ARC to feed the Beam. This is assuming of course that the projector itself doesn’t have a satisfactory HDMI-ARC port to connect the Beam directly.

The Flexson Beam support is designed to be used with the Beam the correct way up. The photo on Amazon shows it below cupboards, with the Beam apparently inverted, but this would be unsuitable for use with video as the L/R channels would be reversed. Beam isn’t designed to be used upside down.