Sonos arc & Sony Bravia KDXE7096

• 12 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out if my Sony TV KDXE7096 (2017 model with HDMI ARC) is able to pass-through Dolby Digital Plus signal from Apple TV 4k. The manual says exactly the following “Dolby Digital Plus Out: Select [Auto] to pass through Dolby Digital Plus stream to ARC when Dolby Digital Plus is available through connected Audio System.”

Has anyone tested on a similar TV and what are the results? Is lossy Atmos format in Dolby Digital Plus available?
What about Netflix Tvs native app? Does it work with DD+ atmos?

I haven't purchased the arc soundbar yet but I want to make sure that’s worth the investment.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have a more recent 2019 Sony Bravia XG and can't seem to get my game console to pass Atmos through.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Unless someone has tried your exact TV with your exact source device (not listed), I think you’ll just have to buy one and try it. Sonos don’t seem eager to publish details on compatibility (which is weird because surely they have done a bunch of testing?), TV manufacturers either don’t give enough detail or, frankly, don’t even know.

Depending on your location on the planet, Sonos will offer an X-day returns policy if it doesn’t work for you.

The older the TV, the lesser the chance of compatibility, and also the less chance of any firmware fixes from the TV maker to fix things. A 2017 model is iffy IMHO.

Badge

I found this article on the web which seems interesting. Its an analysis over HDMI ARC-EARC

https://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/06/25/dolby-atmos-over-hdmi-arc

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I cannot comprehend how a signal agile enough to be transferred across a high speed wireless router, suddenly hits a wall when it reaches a 2 year old HDMI cable. It doesn't make sense to me.

I read somewhere that TVs aren't ALLOWED to provide pass-through, so this feature is intentionally turned off rather than missing. What is the point of that, except to force people to buy more stuff I guess?

Sounds like a job for hackers!?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I cannot comprehend how a signal agile enough to be transferred across a high speed wireless router, suddenly hits a wall when it reaches a 2 year old HDMI cable. It doesn't make sense to me.

An HDMI cable carries much more data than any wireless router can deliver. It is uncompressed 4k video, do the math. (It is 18Gbps for HDMI 2.0, 48Gbps for HDMI 2.1).

Badge

I finally decided To go with the Sonos arc and two Ones gen2 as surrounds. My Sony TV (model KDXE7096) is connected through HDMI ARC port. I’m also using an Apple TV 4K to stream from Netflix.

What I noticed is that every time I play media from Netflix, on the S2 app “About my system” I see that the audio output is Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 but with no atmos on the “now playing” screen.

What audio format Do I get? Is this just Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 with no atmos enabled?