Answered

Sonos Arc compatibility with 2019 65" Q80 TV

• 10 April 2021
  • 4 replies

I’m interested in purchasing an Arc but have read several reviews wherein owners of certain Samsung TVs are having issues with compatibility.  I have a 2019 65” Q80 TV.  It has no eArc HDMI port, but does have an Arc HDMI port.  Are there issues I should be aware of and can I be assured that I can experience ATMOS?

Thanks,

ZJS

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 April 2021, 19:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

According to this thread, you should be able to get Dolby Atmos from your TV’s native Netflix and Prime Video apps.

Are you using any external media devices like an Apple TV or Blu-ray player?

No.  I’m using the apps within the Samsung system only  We use YouTube TV for our primary but also have Netflix, Prime, Tubi, Crackle and a variety of other sources including Pandora, Spotify and Sirius as music sources via WIFI.  We have Comcast WIFI with 460mbps speed and there are only two of us using devices.  We don’t game and we don’t watch recordings of Blueray movies or any DVDs.

To be clear, we don’t currently have the SONOS Arc.  We do have a couple of SONOS speakers which we like.  And that prompted us to consider getting the Arc as the first step in expanding the system.  But I’ve read about difficulties with Samsung TVs...the picture and sound is out of sync, the systems sometimes are incompatible for a variety of purported reasons, etc.

If I’m paying a premium for the SONOS experience, I expect that the experience be a relatively seamless one.  That’s why I posed this question on the BLOG.  Can I expect the SONOS Arc to work as advertised if I plug it into my 2019 Q80 65 inch QLED TV or am I going to have to MacGyver a solution because of an undefined issue?

If I can’t get a positive response, I’ll pass and look to some other WIFI based system that also has Bluetooth capability.  I may end up paying a bit more, but I’ll hopefully have a system that’s adaptable with quality sound and features.

Thanks,

ZJS

Userlevel 7

As I posted earlier, you should be able to get Dolby Atmos from your TV’s native Netflix and Prime Video apps. But apps like YouTube TV, Tubi, and Crackle are limited to stereo audio only. The music streaming apps also play in stereo. Other apps that support Dolby Atmos are Disney+, Apple TV+, VUDU, and HBO Max, but you may not get Atmos audio from these apps because it is not yet supported on your TV.

As far as the other issues Samsung owners have experienced with the Arc, many have fixed their issues with firmware updates and patches.

I was just at Best Buy and they said they could get me a black one in 5 days and that they take returns up to 15 days after purchase.  So I think I’ll order one out tomorrow, install it and see if I have any issues.  If so, back it goes.  Otherwise...Yay!

Thanks.

ZJS