Answered

Sonos and Vinyl

• 12 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi, I have a Rega P2 turntable with amp and speakers. I also have a sonos 3 and want to start using my vinyl through a sonos so we can play in other rooms. Is this possible? what do I need? how do I do it?
Thank!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 October 2018, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If your turntable already has an amp and speakers, you will need a Sonos Connect. You will also need a phono pre-amp. Some turntables have it built-in, for those that do not, you can buy an external model. Connect the output of the turntable/pre-amp to the line-in on the Connect. Connect an output on the Connect to the amplifiers input (analog, coax, optical) of your choice. Note: If the turntable is currently connected to a phono input on the amp, you cannot use this because the output of the phono pre-amp is no longer equalized for a phono input.

Now in the Settings for the Connect room name, choose Line-In Settings and turn Autoplay to on. Choose the Connect room name for the Autoplay room. This will start the music playing whenever you drop the needle. You can then group the Sonos 3 with the Connect. As a bonus, you can also play any other Sonos sources over the amp and speakers.
If your turntable already has an amp and speakers, you will need a Sonos Connect. You will also need a phono pre-amp. Some turntables have it built-in, for those that do not, you can buy an external model. Connect the output of the turntable/pre-amp to the line-in on the Connect. Connect an output on the Connect to the amplifiers input (analog, coax, optical) of your choice. Note: If the turntable is currently connected to a phono input on the amp, you cannot use this because the output of the phono pre-amp is no longer equalized for a phono input.

Now in the Settings for the Connect room name, choose Line-In Settings and turn Autoplay to on. Choose the Connect room name for the Autoplay room. This will start the music playing whenever you drop the needle. You can then group the Sonos 3 with the Connect. As a bonus, you can also play any other Sonos sources over the amp and speakers.

Looks like you know about this topic. I'm doing some research but I'm getting nuts, so I really hope you can give me some light. I will really appreciate it.

I'm looking into buying a Rega RP3 Turntable to play music via my 2xSonos Play:1. I understood I need a Connect/Connect:amp for it.

So I'm looking, if I don't got it wrong, for a Pre-amp, and I found this one: https://www.whathifi.com/rega/fono-mini-a2d/review

If I get that, what else do I need? If I get the Sonos Connect:AMP, do I need an amplifier?

I'm lost haha
If I can step in for jgatie, you wouldn't need to get a CONNECT:AMP, as you're not powering someone else's speakers, you're only getting the signal in to the Sonos environment to play on your PLAY:1s.

So, what you'd have is Turntable>pre-amp>CONNECT. That gets the signal into the ecosystem, and you can then group any number (well, up to 32) Sonos speakers to play that signal.
If I can step in for jgatie, you wouldn't need to get a CONNECT:AMP, as you're not powering someone else's speakers, you're only getting the signal in to the Sonos environment to play on your PLAY:1s.

So, what you'd have is Turntable>pre-amp>CONNECT. That gets the signal into the ecosystem, and you can then group any number (well, up to 32) Sonos speakers to play that signal.

Awesome, I really appreciate your information. Thank you very much Bruce
You're most welcome. Most of that information was from jgatie, anyway. He's a superstar. 🙂