Sonos Amp vs. NAD 372 C

• 14 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi all! I currently use a Sonos Playbar and sub with my tv and for most of my listening. I also have a NAD 372C integrated amp with ADS L300c speakers and a Definitive Technology sub. This was my main system in my house when I lived in NY. I also had Polk 12 speakers connected to it in my main listening room. But, I only have the ADS bookshelf speakers here and compared to the way they sounded in NY, it can’t compare and I realize it’s because of the room acoustics. I rarely sit down and critically listen to music these days even though I am a musician and former band director, So, I hardly ever listen to the NAD system, but rely mainly on the Sonos system. I know that there could be a time when I want to just listen and the Sonos Playbar doesn’t have the clarity of sound in all ranges that i’m really used to. I’m wondering if I can get comparable sound results if I replaced the NAD amp with the Sonos Amp? Then I could have 1 system for everything. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I replaced a couple “hi-end” integrated amps with Sonos Amps and hear no drop off in sound quality.  I control everything from either my iPhone or iPad and have one of the amps setup to startup the second the needle hits the groove from my main system’s turntable in the basement.

The second amp is used with a tv and the sound is fed through the speakers the moment it detects sound from the tv.

As long as there is no change in the speakers, and you do not expect the Sonos amp to give the same sound levels at the same relative place on the volume control sliders up to about 70% after which both tend to be the same, the sound via both amps will be the same.

Badge +1

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Amp. But first, I sat down and listened to various tracks on various cd’s (classical, jazz and rock) using the NAD 372 C amp and my NAD C 516BEE cd player. It sounded really good; I haven’t listened to it lately. After just listening to my Sonos Playbar, Sub and a Play 1 for 2 years, it was very refreshing to listen to the NAD system. 

Then, I disconnected the NAD amp and hooked up the Sonos Amp. I played the Sonos Amp through my wired speakers, playing the same cd tracks and I immediately noticed that it didn’t have the sound, clarity, punch and definition that my NAD amp does. The NAD is clearly a superior amp to my ears. 

Then, I was hoping to use my wired speakers in conjunction with the Sonos speakers for listening and for TV. I don’t think it’s capable of that. It’s either, but not both. I thought the Sonos Amp would sync up with the other Sonos speakers but it doesn’t seem to do that, unless I’m missing something. What’s needed for the Sonos Amp to find the other speakers? I followed the set up guide which was pretty simple. Thanks all!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You could keep your NAD and exchange the amp for a Port. Saves you a few hundred $.

The Amp can group with your other speakers. Need more details? Are your speakers running the same firmware as the amp?

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Amp. But first, I sat down and listened to various tracks on various cd’s (classical, jazz and rock) using the NAD 372 C amp and my NAD C 516BEE cd player. It sounded really good; I haven’t listened to it lately. After just listening to my Sonos Playbar, Sub and a Play 1 for 2 years, it was very refreshing to listen to the NAD system. 

Then, I disconnected the NAD amp and hooked up the Sonos Amp. I played the Sonos Amp through my wired speakers, playing the same cd tracks and I immediately noticed that it didn’t have the sound, clarity, punch and definition that my NAD amp does. The NAD is clearly a superior amp to my ears. 

You might want to return the Amp and get a Port.  That would allow you to integrate your NAD amp with your Sonos.

Then, I was hoping to use my wired speakers in conjunction with the Sonos speakers for listening and for TV. I don’t think it’s capable of that. It’s either, but not both. I thought the Sonos Amp would sync up with the other Sonos speakers but it doesn’t seem to do that, unless I’m missing something. What’s needed for the Sonos Amp to find the other speakers? I followed the set up guide which was pretty simple. Thanks all!

You need to group your amp and existing Sonos room together in the Sonos app.  You do see both in the Sonos app, correct?  Assuming you do, then grouping will have music play in sync for both rooms/zones.  For TV audio your playbar room will match the TV video, and the amp will be slightly delayed.

Badge +1

Thanks for the replies, guys. If I didn’t already own the NAD amp, I could easily listen to music through the Sonos amp and my speakers. After a lot of listening to various kinds of music this morning, I removed the Amp and put back my NAD and there’s a noticeable in sound quality. I’ll keep that set up for music and use the Playbar and sub with the TV. Thanks for your help!