Answered

Sonos Amp for surround sound and Music streaming

• 22 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am in process of a remodel and going to be purchasing a whole home ceiling speaker system. 

I will have four zones with 4 Sonos amps which is pretty self explanatory. 

but my issue is in my living room I will have it set up as a 5.1 surround with an arc and a sub (all Sonos). So my understanding is if I do this then I can not independently of the tv stream music on those ceiling speakers through my phone. I have two questions about this:

1. If I use to stream through the tv so I can get the ceiling speakers to work. Then can I turn off only the arc? Also can I get it to play the same music as the rest of the house?
  2. this is the best option. How can I have those ceiling speakers still play music independently even after being part of the surround set up? I don’t mind spending extra money but I need this to work. Can I buy a 2nd amp and have the same ceiling speakers be part of a surround and also attached to another amp simultaneously?
icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 May 2021, 20:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

If you connect the Amp/ceiling speakers in the living room to the Arc as rear surrounds, when you play music, it will play out of the entire 5.1.2 setup. If you want the music to only play out of the ceiling speakers, you will have to manually disconnect them as surrounds from the Arc in the Sonos app then reconnect them when you want to use them as surrounds again. The Trueplay tuning process will have to be done each time too.

You won’t be able to connect the ceiling speakers to two Amps at the same time. If you want the ceiling speakers to be independent of the Arc/Sub, you might consider getting a pair of One SLs to use as surrounds and only use the ceiling speakers as a separate zone for music.