Answered

Sonos Amp compared to Connect Amp to drive Bose 251 speakers

• 13 April 2019
  • 6 replies

I have a pair of Bose 251 speakers in my conservatory driven by a Connect Amp situated in the more controlled temperatures in the house. Not strictly an outdoor situation but the temperature in the conservatory can get up to over 40 degrees Celsius.
Would I notice any difference if I substituted the Connect Amp for the new Amp, in terms of performance?
icon

Best answer by Kumar 14 April 2019, 02:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Well, there's significantly more power in the Sonos Amp than there is in the CONNECT:AMP. So it's possible you could get them louder. I doubt they'd "sound" better, though. I'd expect the sound would be pretty much the same.
Unless you are having to set the volume control on the Connect Amp to 80% plus to get adequate sound levels in the space, it will not make any difference. My 251 pair does fine with a third party amp of the same power delivery spec as the Connect Amp. It is going into its sixteenth year now so I no longer have the manuals, but if you want higher sound levels via the more powerful Sonos Amp, I would first check that it can take the extra power without burning out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't see temp ratings anywhere so I'd contact Sonos support and ask about the 40C (104F) and maybe humidity If you consider relocating things.

Just over double the power so you could get a bit louder, not a lot. The extra power will clean up a bit of clipping if you are getting into that range and that will improve the sound.

I'd lean to the new Amp for the new features if you were talking about buying new. I wouldn't do a replacement unless I could use the old Connect Amp elsewhere or was really unhappy with the current sound.

The other option would be more efficient speakers that would make your current power go a lot further.
The 251 is an outdoor speaker, and will have zero issues with humidity. If I remember correctly from my lost now manual, these high temperatures are not an issue, even if someone is able to sit and listen to music in those.
Thanks all for your responses.I was just looking for an excuse to get the new Amp, and really cannot see me being able to justify it based on what has been said.
The Connect Amp and any replacement, were I to get one would remain in the house where temperature and humidity are at a more comfortable level.
Perhaps seeing the linked thread will give you more ideas:-):

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/connect-amp-system-recommendation-6822890