Answered

Sonos Amp

Hi Guys, I'm updating a friends Sonos products and just wanted to clarify that his ceilings speakers will connect to the amp via the banana clips and bee used via arc so sound the tv etc. If I then decide I want to listen to the Play 1 in another room I can then group the amp with them so it will play the same through said ceiling speakers? And then ungroup to use again normally with the tv?

icon

Best answer by John B 28 May 2021, 10:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes that’s fine.  In Sonos terminology the Play:1 and the Amp (with its ceiling speakers) are both ‘rooms’.  Any Sonos rooms can be grouped to play audio together.

And in fact there is a setting ‘ungroup on Autoplay’ which, if enabled. means that when audio from the TV is detected the Amp alone plays it and other rooms are ungrouped.

You can leave them grouped and play the TV audio on the Play:1 if you wish, but for TV audio the sync will not be perfect.

Thanks John - that’s brilliant!

As a further thought, I’m not convinced of the merit of playing TV sound through ceiling speakers.  This is for all TV audio, or just rear speakers with a Sonos soundbar for the fronts?

To be fair I’m hoping to convince him of that! I think mainly the ceilings will be used for music audio not tv - he also has ceiling speakers in the dining room so for separate control 2 amps will be required? If happy to have both running with no split then both sets of wires could go in 1 amp? 

Userlevel 7

To be fair I’m hoping to convince him of that! I think mainly the ceilings will be used for music audio not tv - he also has ceiling speakers in the dining room so for separate control 2 amps will be required? If happy to have both running with no split then both sets of wires could go in 1 amp? 

Each Amp acts as one zone, so if he wants the dining room speakers to act as a separate zone, he would need to get another Amp.

You can connect up to four speakers (six speakers if they are Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers) to a single Amp. So his two sets of in-ceiling speakers could connect to one Amp and act as a single zone.

Hi Guys, I'm updating a friends Sonos products and just wanted to clarify that his ceilings speakers will connect to the amp via the banana clips and bee used via arc so sound the tv etc. If I then decide I want to listen to the Play 1 in another room I can then group the amp with them so it will play the same through said ceiling speakers? And then ungroup to use again normally with the tv?

Just to make sure it’s clear, the amp can play streaming services on it’s own, as well as TV audio.  You would not need to group it with the play:1.  You can if you want music in both rooms, but it’s not necessary.