Answered

Sonos Amp & 2 pairs of celing speakers, can I create seperate zones?

• 19 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi,

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I am currently having an extension which will have 3 separate areas but all open plan. A Family/dining room, Kitchen & then seating area. About 40 square meters in total. 

My plan was to have 1 speaker in the family room, 2 in the kitchen as very high ceiling and 1 in the seating area all hooked up to one amp. Would I be able to create 3 separate zones so I can turn off speakers? 

For example I was hoping to be able to turn off the family room if the kids are in bed and we’re in the kitchen and seating area.

Thanks in advance,

Sid 

icon

Best answer by buzz 19 June 2021, 14:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You would need to Google ‘impedance matching speaker switch’.  You can only get one zone out of the Amp itself, but this can feed into a speaker switch that can give you separate volume control over different speaker outputs.  You need a switch that will prevent overload on the Amp with lots of speakers attached.

Btw, it would not be a good idea to put one speaker of a stereo pair in one room and the other in a different room, if that is what you were planning.

Ok thanks John. 

So it looks best to have 2 speakers in the kids/dining room on one amp and then 2 speakers in the kitchen/seating area on another amp. 

Ok thanks John. 

So it looks best to have 2 speakers in the kids/dining room on one amp and then 2 speakers in the kitchen/seating area on another amp. 

I thought the aim was to have only one Amp?  Which is perfectly do-able.  I am no expert on ceiling speakers, but I would have thought you could run three outputs from the switch - one to a mono speaker in the family room, one to a mono speaker in the seating area and one to the pair in the main kitchen.

I think the Sonos Amp has a ‘dual mono’ option which might prove useful as well.

In the areas where you will sit or work for extended periods, I recommend that your body is situated between symmetric stereo speakers. I expect that this would be most desirable in the seating area. Two or three pairs of speakers could cover this space. I recommend being able to individually control the Volume for each pair of speakers. This could be done with separate AMP’s or in-wall Volume controls for each pair of speakers.

In an open area there is no point in attempting to play different music in multiple pairs of speakers. If there are separate rooms and you are using multiple AMP’s, each AMP can play different music.

Thanks both 👍🏻