Skip to main content

Sonos Ace Headset: Pre-Order/Use Opinion

• 21 May 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello

I’ll keep this short; but first let’s address the elephant(s) in the room straight away….

1. Yes, the Sonos App is still somewhat of a work in progress. Enough said on that.
  2. Sonos Ace headphones do not connect over Wi-Fi in the same manner as other Sonos products; and therefore do not appear as a “speaker” in the Sonos app. That’s good news as the Ace Headphones will not impact the number of Sonos units on a single system which is 32. Assuming I’ve made the correct interpretation 😂🤔

I imagine that the latter comes as a shock to most. I always thought putting Wi-Fi radios into a headset is a bit much…but maybe it will come in the Ace Gen2. 😂🤔

Nevertheless, from reviews by the likes of The Verge; the Ace’s have the chops to compete with well-established headset competitors like Apple, Bose and Sony to name a few.

Sonos (IMO) seems to have checked all the boxes such as: * 

• Comfort and Fit for a variety of head-sizes (as well as eye glass and/or ear-ring wearers)
  • Premium construction and materials  
  • Light Weight at 0.69 lbs (0.312 grams) vs Apples AirPods Max 0.85 lbs (384.8 grams)
  • Active Noise Cancellation (eight microphones)
  • Aware Mode (transparency for outside noises)
  • Personalized Spatial Audio with dynamic head tracking
  • Adaptive EQ
  • 30 hours listening 
  • 24 hours call time 
  • Lossless audio
  • Wear Detection to sense and pause listening when removed and resume when placed on head again
  • Dolby Atmos (Arc at launch with Beam (Gen 1 & 2) and Ray to follow)
  • TV Audio Swap
  • Adjustable EQ
  • Bluetooth 5.4 
  • Physical Controls/Buttons (No need to memorize slide and finger swipe movements)
  • USB-C Charging with included cable (accommodates rapid charging) 
  • USB-C to 3.5 mm cable (included)
  • Travel case (Included)

My personal favorite is the ability of the Ace headset to receive audio from the Arc to experience Dolby Atmos without another box (such as AppleTV) connected to my TV. 😀 However, this feature won’t be available at launch…but I can wait.

I wish Sonos had offered more exciting colors like those available for the Move 2 and Roam speakers. Com’on Sonos the Ace headset is a form of wearable fashion. Cookie-cutter basic black and soft white doesn’t set the Ace’s apart (aesthetically) from your competition. 🙁 Oh, well it is what it is.

FYI, I ordered my Ace Headphones today in black. I’m not a fan of white that may show dirt and require frequent cleaning to keep the sparkle. I also hope the faux leather ear cups don’t cause sweating 🤞

* Visit the Sonos Ace Headset page and view the FAQ’s for more detailed information.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

You 100 percent summed up the Ace and it’s positives in a nutshell. If you look at the community and socials in a nutshell you would think the sky is falling and Sonos is failing at everything. I ordered 2 black myself for my wife and I. I agree about the colors-even Roam 2 colors (all 3 are nice). The lack of wifi is surprising as it was allegedly a high on the rumor list. I am still confused about the whole connection thing and what it can and can’t do. 

Userlevel 2

For me, there's no point to these headphones. I'm not interested in Atmos or using headphones for TV. If I wanted to spend $AUD700 for a pair of headphones, I'd be looking for pure sound quality. In that case I'd go for wired headphones from an established hi-fi brand, not Sonos. If I want bluetooth headphones with ANC (which I do), I can get those for under $500.

Even if the Ace acted as a Sonos speaker I probably wouldn't get them. I might have had a different attitude a few weeks ago before the app update disaster, but my confidence in this brand is at rock bottom right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello

I’ll keep this short; but first let’s address the elephant(s) in the room straight away….

1. Yes, the Sonos App is still somewhat of a work in progress. Enough said on that.
  2. Sonos Ace headphones do not connect over Wi-Fi in the same manner as other Sonos products; and therefore do not appear as a “speaker” in the Sonos app. That’s good news as the Ace Headphones will not impact the number of Sonos units on a single system which is 32. Assuming I’ve made the correct interpretation 😂🤔

I imagine that the latter comes as a shock to most. I always thought putting Wi-Fi radios into a headset is a bit much…but maybe it will come in the Ace Gen2. 😂🤔

Nevertheless, from reviews by the likes of The Verge; the Ace’s have the chops to compete with well-established headset competitors like Apple, Bose and Sony to name a few.

Sonos (IMO) seems to have checked all the boxes such as: * 

• Comfort and Fit for a variety of head-sizes (as well as eye glass and/or ear-ring wearers)
  • Premium construction and materials  
  • Light Weight at 0.69 lbs (0.312 grams) vs Apples AirPods Max 0.85 lbs (384.8 grams)
  • Active Noise Cancellation (eight microphones)
  • Aware Mode (transparency for outside noises)
  • Personalized Spatial Audio with dynamic head tracking
  • Adaptive EQ
  • 30 hours listening 
  • 24 hours call time 
  • Lossless audio
  • Wear Detection to sense and pause listening when removed and resume when placed on head again
  • Dolby Atmos (Arc at launch with Beam (Gen 1 & 2) and Ray to follow)
  • TV Audio Swap
  • Adjustable EQ
  • Bluetooth 5.4 
  • Physical Controls/Buttons (No need to memorize slide and finger swipe movements)
  • USB-C Charging with included cable (accommodates rapid charging) 
  • USB-C to 3.5 mm cable (included)
  • Travel case (Included)

My personal favorite is the ability of the Ace headset to receive audio from the Arc to experience Dolby Atmos without another box (such as AppleTV) connected to my TV. 😀 However, this feature won’t be available at launch…but I can wait.

I wish Sonos had offered more exciting colors like those available for the Move 2 and Roam speakers. Com’on Sonos the Ace headset is a form of wearable fashion. Cookie-cutter basic black and soft white doesn’t set the Ace’s apart (aesthetically) from your competition. 🙁 Oh, well it is what it is.

FYI, I ordered my Ace Headphones today in black. I’m not a fan of white that may show dirt and require frequent cleaning to keep the sparkle. I also hope the faux leather ear cups don’t cause sweating 🤞

* Visit the Sonos Ace Headset page and view the FAQ’s for more detailed information.

The have the spec of high end headphones.

I just don’t think they have enough Sonos integration to make them Sonos headphones.

They may be part of the brand but they are not yet part of the eco system IMHO.

Although it’s not mentioned in the spec’s of the Ace headset as a “connection” option to Wi-Fi the fact that the Arc will be able to send Dolby Atmos to them suggests some type of proprietary 5Ghz antenna imbedded inside. Although I’ve been wrong before and this is just speculation looking for a plausible explanation to support the feature 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Although it’s not mentioned in the spec’s of the Ace headset as a “connection” option to Wi-Fi the fact that the Arc will be able to send Dolby Atmos to them suggests some type of proprietary 5Ghz antenna imbedded inside. Although I’ve been wrong before and this is just speculation looking for a plausible explanation 🤔

But would you seriously spend that much money HOPING that Sonos will eventually deliver the function that you want? 

When/if Sonos regain my trust and I can use the headphones as another device/room on y Sonos network then I MAY consider a pair. 

You 100 percent summed up the Ace and it’s positives in a nutshell. If you look at the community and socials in a nutshell you would think the sky is falling and Sonos is failing at everything. I ordered 2 black myself for my wife and I. I agree about the colors-even Roam 2 colors (all 3 are nice). The lack of wifi is surprising as it was allegedly a high on the rumor list. I am still confused about the whole connection thing and what it can and can’t do. 

You have no idea what these expensive cans can do? Yet you announce you've bought 2 pairs!  I suppose you can always use them as doorstops (oh hang on, aren't they lightweight... Damn & blast!).  Or put 'em in the Sonos Trophy cabinet?

Good grief 🤔😭

I don’t get this whole thing of denouncing other people’s choices  and / or purchasing decisions.  If you bought something and at that time or later down the line you think you got it wrong — sure, it’s fine to put your hand up and say so.  You can tell everybody here too, if you like.  

but whether it’s cars, trainers, headphones or Sonos kit, or whatever — hey it’s not your money — you didn’t work for it, don’t presume to tell someone else how to spend it, or that whatever they spent it on is somehow wrong.   Even if their decision is wrong it’s nothing to do with you.  Give over lording it over people with the ‘good grief’ nonsense.  Other people don’t need your permission on how or where to spend their money.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You have no idea what these expensive cans can do? Yet you announce you've bought 2 pairs!  I suppose you can always use them as doorstops (oh hang on, aren't they lightweight... Damn & blast!).  Or put 'em in the Sonos Trophy cabinet?

Good grief 🤔😭

I don’t get this whole thing of denouncing other people’s choices  and / or purchasing decisions.  If you bought something and at that time or later down the line you think you got it wrong — sure, it’s fine to put your hand up and say so.  You can tell everybody here too, if you like.  

but whether it’s cars, trainers, headphones or Sonos kit, or whatever — hey it’s not your money — you didn’t work for it, don’t presume to tell someone else how to spend it, or that whatever they spent it on is somehow wrong.   Even if their decision is wrong it’s nothing to do with you.  Give over lording it over people with the ‘good grief’ nonsense.  Other people don’t need your permission on how or where to spend their money.  

Good observation.

Being honest, if it was not for the app issues I would probably be considering a pair of these even with limited Sonos integration. I just see things differently about Sonos post 7th May. Before that date I would probably have been considered a fan boy according to some peoples definition. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Good grief 🤔😭

Good observation.

Being honest, if it was not for the app issues I would probably be considering a pair of these even with limited Sonos integration. I just see things differently about Sonos post 7th May. Before that date I would probably have been considered a fan boy according to some peoples definition. 

Pretty much same for me.  I need a month or so after the app is completely fixed and its been confirmed the headphones actually work as expected.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Good grief 🤔😭

Good observation.

Pretty much same for me.  I need a month or so after the app is completely fixed and its been confirmed the headphones actually work as expected.

I understand, but I don’t mind being on the bleeding edge of technology. You win some big and some not so much. It’s the ride and the glory along with the result where the thrill is. That is me, if not you that’s ok. Let’s Ride!!