Answered

Sonos 1 surround sound

• 22 February 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi all,
I have a Playbar and Sub in my living room and the sound is superb.

What I would like to know is for watching 5.1 enabled movies, does having Sonos Play 1s as surround speakers really add much to the experience?

Haden
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 February 2019, 15:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, HadenUK. I would say yes (as much as any other surround system), the experience would be the same as what you are accustomed to with a surround system. It would also provide a more immersive experience for music playback, as you would have the additional two speakers in the setup as well.
I would just point out that Sonos make a Play:1 and a Sonos One. An identical pair of either could be used. The One is more expensive but has voice control built in. The One also has Airplay 2, but when it is used for surrounds Airplay does not operate
Badge
I would just point out that Sonos make a Play:1 and a Sonos One. An identical pair of either could be used. The One is more expensive but has voice control built in. The One also has Airplay 2, but when it is used for surrounds Airplay does not operate

Ah, I was thinking of Play 1s. Thanks for pointing out the distinction John 🙂
Badge
Hi, HadenUK. I would say yes (as much as any other surround system), the experience would be the same as what you are accustomed to with a surround system. It would also provide a more immersive experience for music playback, as you would have the additional two speakers in the setup as well.

Hi Edward, thanks for replying (again) to me today.

So would a Play 1 give optimal surround sound or should I consider a more expensive speaker? FYI my Sonos set up is already controlled using Alexa.

Also, just to confirm, when playing music through Amazon music (through the Sonos kit), would the surround speakers also be active, i.e. not requiring a special 5.1 feed?

Thanks!

Hi Edward, thanks for replying (again) to me today.

So would a Play 1 give optimal surround sound or should I consider a more expensive speaker? FYI my Sonos set up is already controlled using Alexa.

Also, just to confirm, when playing music through Amazon music (through the Sonos kit), would the surround speakers also be active, i.e. not requiring a special 5.1 feed?

Thanks!
If you will excuse my butting in :)

Play:1s work really well with Playbar and Sub. Unless you have a huge room anything else is probably OTT.

For music you can set the P:1 sound to be AMBIENT (barely audible) or FULL (very audible). You can adjust the relative volume between bar and surrounds. It isn't a huge hassle to go into the app and turn the surrounds off or on if you really want to.
Userlevel 7
Hi, HadenUK. I would say yes (as much as any other surround system), the experience would be the same as what you are accustomed to with a surround system. It would also provide a more immersive experience for music playback, as you would have the additional two speakers in the setup as well.So would a Play 1 give optimal surround sound or should I consider a more expensive speaker? FYI my Sonos set up is already controlled using Alexa.

The Play 1 and Sonos One are for the most part identical speakers. The latter having Alexa voice which bumps the price. In a blind test you'd be very challenged to distinguish a difference in sound (if any were present). The only more expensive speaker is a Play 5 which IMO is overkill in a surround setup except in the most extreme placements. So direct answer to your question...the Play 1 will provide optimal sound.

Hi, HadenUK. I would say yes (as much as any other surround system), the experience would be the same as what you are accustomed to with a surround system. It would also provide a more immersive experience for music playback, as you would have the additional two speakers in the setup as well.Also, just to confirm, when playing music through Amazon music (through the Sonos kit), would the surround speakers also be active,

Yes, the surround speakers would be active. However, in the Sonos app you can set them to automactically switch from surround mode to FULL speaker mode when playing music. You would also be able to control the volume of the surrounds and Playbar independently or as a group.

Cheers!
Badge
Cheers guys. Right, I think some more Sonos kit will be bought this weekend 🙂