Answered

Sono Beam Connected Speakers

• 2 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a Play:1 and Play:5 (Gen 1). I’m thinking of getting a Sonos Beam and wanted to understand if the Beam would group to the Play:1 and Play:5 (Gen 1)? I can’t think to find confirmation of this functionality on the Sonos site. 

icon

Best answer by Mark P 2 January 2021, 17:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @jonnyjw.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me try to assist you.

Yes, you can group all of your speakers as long as they are under the same Sonos application.

This will show you how Group and ungroup rooms.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Because of the Play:5, (Gen 1) you would need to either have a split system or run everything on the S1 App.  It would group with the Play:1 with either set-up but the Play:5 wouldn’t be able to Group with the Beam in a Split System. Please see this article.

Edit:

Here is the information on a split system.

Edit 2:

Please see additional text in bold italics, for clarity.

Thanks - so if I understand this correctly I can group a Beam with the Play:1 with either the Sonos S2 app or the Sonos S1 Controller app? And the Play:5 (Gen 1) cannot be grouped to the Beam at all? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks - so if I understand this correctly I can group a Beam with the Play:1 with either the Sonos S2 app or the Sonos S1 Controller app? And the Play:5 (Gen 1) cannot be grouped to the Beam at all? 

If you're willing to accept the restrictions of staying on the S1 App, you can group all three. But you won't get the functionality improvements associated with S2.