Sonance outdoor speakers backyard landscape overhaul

Hi there,

I am getting ready to do a big back yard landscaping overhaul. Part of the upgrade is to replace the old 2 pool speakers that were behind the two vents in the attic that faced the patio and pool…

Those vents are going away and I was planning on mounting the 2 new outdoor sonance speakers under the eaves in slightly different locations as I don’t want the new speakers to be hovering over my new doors. Attached is a pic that I marked up… you’ll see where the old and new are going to be. 

I have two questions:

• Is having 2 outdoor Sonance speakers going to cover the area over the pool and patio? The Sonance speakers are just about the same size as the old ones that were 20 years old so I am assuming it’ll be great.  
  • Does the Sonance outdoor speaker have True Play and can I adjust the EQ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Derrek

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Can’t help you with the first part, but I can tell you that the only Sonance speakers that support TruePlay are the Architectural Series, which I believe are only in-ceiling speakers, and not outdoor speakers. 

And your pic was not included, although I’m not sure it’s necessary, as I tend to think that your conclusion in question 1 is probably accurate. Hard to believe newer speakers would be worse than 20 year old speakers, plus the change from behind vents to actual outdoor mounted speakers….I’d expect better results, not worse. 

Here is the pic with the old and new proposed locations:

Nice!

I’d think you’d be fine. Although I’m also not a user of outside speakers, there are others who are who may have better information. 

Ask the contractor if he can build you a diving platform off the roof.  It would be epic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wire is pretty cheap, you might consider having it run to the far left and right so you could add a second pair of speakers if you find the sound weak from the first two.

Put in a mounting block for the speaker (copy what you do for the first two and a low-voltage junction box.

Seeing how sound dissipates in an outdoor space, this is an opportunity to lay underground speaker cable runs using thick enough wires such that speakers can be located much nearer the pool and other listening spaces. Cable runs can be terminated inside the house where the driving electronics can be easily placed.

The speakers can then be free space ground mounted external passive speakers or the simulated rock speaker enclosures placed in well chosen spaces for effective coverage.

Ask the contractor if he can build you a diving platform off the roof.  It would be epic.

Hahaha! I know right?!

dpeel79,

My inclination is similar to Stanley_4’s -- add more speakers because that is a large “room”. How does the current speaker arrangement sound? 

I would also agree that adding more speakers is a good idea for that space.  However, if you were happy with the audio using 2 speakers previously….

I believe Sonance have their own outdoor satellite speakers based systems for patios and yards that would provide a much better listening experience across the open space, that may be worth investigating for such a landscaping project, especially if the yard sees a lot of use where music is played.