Answered

Should I keep any existing HT setup when converting to Sonos (surrounds, subs)?

Hello all,

I’m converting most of my home away from Chromecast / Chromecast audio (too unstable), and I’m  not certain which (if any) components to keep from my existing HT / Surround system. Most of the time we listen to music in multi-channel stereo.

The room in question is about 900 square feet (20’ wide x 45’ deep) with 20’ cathedral ceilings.

Currently I have a 7.0 system including:

• Denon AVR-X2300W
  • L/R: B&W CM-1 (vintage floorstanding speakers)
  • Center: Definitive Mythos 3
  • Surround L/R and back L/R: Definitive BP2X

My plan is to convert to:

• Sonos Arc (L/C/R)
  • Sonos AMP to power the definitive surrounds
  • Use the sub out to feed a new external sub (thinking Hsu ULS-15 MK2 or SVS Micro 3000). 
  • Alternatively, if I were to get rid of the Definitive surrounds I’d add Ikea symfonisk table lamps for L/R surround. This would obviate the need for the Sonos AMP, in which case I’d get a Sonos Sub.

Questions:

• Does this seem like it will be a reasonably effective setup for the intended use, or am I likely to be disappointed? I want to convert to Sonos for simplicity and integration with the rest of our home. I understand the cathedral ceilings may make Atmos useless, though my current TV doesn’t even have e-ARC anyway.
  • If I’m integrating a Sonos AMP for the surrounds, is there any reason at all to use the Sonos sub instead of the Hsu or SVS approach? 
icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 19 April 2021, 16:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, the cathedral ceiling would diminish the effectiveness of the two upward firing drivers of the Arc when playing Dolby Atmos content.

FYI... you don’t necessarily need eARC to get Atmos audio when streaming especially when using your TV’s native apps like Netflix or VUDU. It just depends on your TV model.

When you use a Sonos Amp for surround speakers, it disables the Amp’s SUB output and line input. So if you want to use a third-party sub, you would have to purchase another Sonos Amp. Your best option would be getting the Sonos Sub instead.

Thanks GuitarSuperstar. I didn’t realize that about the SUB output and line input. That’s a big bummer. Is that still the case even if you switch the settings in the app to have all surround speakers playing at equal volume?

My TV is a Vizio E55 from 2018 which doesn’t have Atmos as far as I know. I may upgrade in the future.

Userlevel 7

I didn’t realize that about the SUB output and line input. That’s a big bummer. Is that still the case even if you switch the settings in the app to have all surround speakers playing at equal volume?

As long as the Amp is being used as surround speakers, the SUB output and line input will be disabled. And the two surrounds speakers will always be at equal volume. There is no independent volume control for individual surround speakers.

FYI… the most channels you can get from a Sonos Arc home theater setup is a 5.2.2 system.

I suppose the other option then would be to buy a Port instead of an Amp, plug the line out of the port into my existing Denon receiver, and use the sub out from that to feed a non-Sonos sub. I know you weighed in on this already, but curious whether the improved performance of a Hsu or SVS sub is worth the hassle of this sort of hack...

Userlevel 7

What reasons (other than moving away from Chromecast audio) do you want to replace your 7.0 setup with a Sonos Arc 5.1.2 system? Do you think the 5.1.2 system will sound better than your existing setup? I’m not sure that it will especially since the two upward firing drivers on the Arc will be pretty much non-existent in your room with cathedral ceilings. So you are basically going from a 7.0 setup with a dedicated speaker for each channel to a 5.1 soundbar setup. Not to mention Sonos doesn’t support DTS or DTS:X.

Since your Denon receiver supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X (with a firmware update), you would be better off adding actual overhead speakers to your current system. And with the addition of a subwoofer, you could have a 7.1.2 (or 7.1.4) Dolby Atmos/DTS:X system. And then you could simply connect a Sonos Port to your Denon receiver to have Sonos streaming capabilities.

Reasons to move towards Sonos Arc-based system: my wife is very excited about getting rid of these floorstanding speakers, and simplicity of use.

The primary goal of the switch (beyond getting rid of floorstanding speakers) is simplicity in terms of input switching and fixed volume at the receiver. That is to say, making sure that we don’t have a variable volume to deal with at the receiver (so that whatever volume we set on the Sonos app is actually the volume that is playing in this particular room).

Can the Denon reciever properly switch inputs automatically? Can it adjust volume in sync with Port (as I know some of the Onkyo and Elites can)?

Userlevel 7

You can change the Line-Out Level settings on the Sonos Port to Fixed, Variable, or Pass-Through. 

If I were you, to make the wife happy, I would go with a simple and clean all-Sonos setup that includes:

• Sonos Arc
  • Sonos Sub (or two Subs because of your room size)
  • 2 One SLs OR SYMFONISK lamps as rear surrounds

Sell the rest of your bulky speakers and Denon receiver.

I have this setup (with Play:1s as surrounds) with three external media devices (Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra, Panasonic UHD player) connected to an HDMI switch, all controlled by a Harmony Hub and remote, and my wife is very happy with how it looks in our living room, how it sounds. and how simple it is for her to use.

Thanks. A few questions on this.

• Pass-Through: do you know whether the Denon AVR-X2300W is supported?
  • Why do you suggest eliminating the Definitive surrounds in favor of the ONE SLs or lamps? My surrounds are mounted fairly high up on the walls and angled downward, so they don’t take up any floor space. Do you think the Sonos speakers would be better?
Userlevel 7

I’m not sure if the Pass-Through setting will work with the Denon.

I don’t know if the Sonos speakers will sound better. I was making that recommendation purely based on appearance and to simplify your setup.

This is a tricky thing: Sonos still can’t compete for sound quality and experience with a wired full blown HT set up. Including simple things like a dedicated centre channel speaker allowing for much better control over dialogue levels to make sure that they are not overpowered by effects.

But a HT set up is aesthetically offensive and sits better in a dedicated HT room.

So for a living room environment one has to make the choice between the best experience v aesthetics. That situation may change in future, but that is how things still are today.

PS: also, the HT set up will do better for music - with the TV off - than will Sonos HT. But also at the cost of the poorer aesthetics.

With Sonos Arc, do I need to have the TV on in order to play music?

With Sonos Arc, do I need to have the TV on in order to play music?

No, you do not.