Answered

Setup suggestion for new home existing system

• 20 October 2018
  • 3 replies

I recently moved to an apartment (rent) that came with a Sonos system as part of the deal. Coming from another country (I live in US now), Its the first time that I hear and interact with a Sonos system, and I liked it.

Well, the apartment that I moved has two speakers in the ceiling (they are mounted on the wall, but close to the ceiling) wired through the walls to a Connect:Amp, that is located inside a box in my closet (where my main internet cable is wired too).

They are mounted in the living room, and bc of the layout, the TV needs to be placed at the same wall where they are, between them.

My idea was to use this existing Sonos system and connect it to the TV somehow for movies and also music (Im used to cast to my TV stuff from Spotify, YouTube, etc.). After reading about Sonos, I realized that the only way to connect Connect:Amp to my TV would be by using a soundbar (playbar/beam/playbase) in a boost mode and use the connect:amp as surround speakers and maybe changing the setup from Ambient to Full in Room Settings.

Based on that, I was thinking in a 5.0 system with a beam + 2 Play:1 as true surrounds (in a 12' x 16' living room) for movies/TV shows and everything (beam, play:1s and connect:amp) for music.

If the speakers of connect:amp can act as left/right enhance for the beam in a surround system, that would be great too, I guess.

Is all this possible? Any other suggestions? I'm completely new to Sonos and surround/audio systems in general.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 October 2018, 15:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Note that the Beam/PlayBar and PlayBase each contain the front-left, front-right and center channels. So by themselves they are a 3.0 setup .. so you can only add two rear surrounds to those. So, if possible, you could swap the TV to the opposite wall perhaps ...and have the Beam, for example, in front and your wall/ceiling speakers behind you.

One thing you may also want to consider is adding the new Sonos Amp to the TV, when it comes out later this year, or early next year. With the Amp you could add the two wall/ceiling speakers and even another pair of 8ohm floor-standing speakers to that device (if you want to) and both pairs will play the front-left and front-right channel with a phantom center channel... then you could utilise your current Connect:Amp and re-wire and attach that to two 8ohn floor-standing speakers to act as the rear-left and rear-right channels.

I personally would look at the new Sonos Amp and wait for the release of that device ... see the links here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/introducing-sonos-amp-6812069
Well, moving the TV is not an option because how the floorplan of my apartment.. my furniture, couch, etc. will block my balcony door if I move the TV to the other side... The existing connect:amp and the ceiling speakers cannot be rewired, their cables run through the walls all the way to my closet where the connect:amp is. The apartment came with this configuration and since I'm renting it, I don't want to mess with this and later have to put everything back..

I might do a 5.0 setup with the beam and play:1 for when I'm watching TV and create a group with the beam and my connect:amp for music only (using Sonos App as source). Do you know if this is possible?
Yes the Beam and two x Play:1s are fine as a 5.0 setup. I have that in our dining room and love it.

You can then group that 5.0 setup with your connect/wall speakers for all around music from all.

Hope that helps?