Second-hand Beam (Gen1) or Playbar??

• 5 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi All

Am debating whether I should get a second-hand Beam (gen1) or a Soundbar and could do with some advice. 

Current Sonos setup:  2 x Play:1 + 1 x Play:1 (needing Bridge). Therefore using S1 App due to Bridge (really annoying btw, Sonos). 

Purpose: Home cinema AND music in a small to medium size room to go with a fairly old 42inch Panasonic TV (no HDMI Arc or Optical out), Have a connected SKY Q box with optical out though. 

Options: Not looking to spend lots on a new products but think I can get a second-hand Beam (Gen1) for £200 or a second-hand Soundbar for £250. 

Current thinking: I thought I was set on a Beam Gen1 giving me S1/S2 flexibility, Google voice control,  and home cinema esp using the Play:1s. BUT if a Playbar is available for only a little more is this a better deal due to sound quality and richness? I have read the music quality on a Playbar will be much much better (including way way better bass) but not sure about the surround sound as older tech? 

Any thoughts, considerations, advice very welcome! 

Thanks 

1 reply

I would personally choose the Playbar for its better sound output, but maybe go with the Beam for it’s additional features and likely longer support from Sonos ... Go with what you see as being the ‘best value’ for money. These things can depend on your own preferences, like whether you want Airplay and/or voice assistant playback/control etc. Note too the playbar needs an IR TV remote whereas the Beam can use HDMI CEC control. So whilst the Playbar lacks features and is likely not going to be supported for as long as the Beam, it’s audio output is better.

By the way I would ditch the Bridge right now and move to S2 and run all on your routers WiFi signal (or alternatively wire a speaker, if you prefer that). A Play:1 (as mentioned) does not require the Sonos Bridge and is S2 compatible.