Answered

Replacing my Connect amps and bridge with new sonos amps and boost

• 22 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Is this replacement easy for a consumer to do and how is it done? Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Antifon 22 March 2021, 19:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Assuming that you are replacing all of your existing equipment then yes, it should be very easy. I did something similar (replacing Connects with Ports) and had no issues.

You don’t explicitly say, but if you’re currently using the S1 app, all you need to do is install the S2 app and set it up as a new system with your new equipment. Simply follow the Sonos guidance on setting up a new system and you’ll be fine. Make sure you set up the new Boost first.

Yes I will be replacing  6 connect amps and one bridge. So are you saying all I do is replace each connect with the new amps and replace the bridge with the port and it should be fine?

yes I am using S1 app

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes, replace the Bridge with a Boost, install and use the S2 app. That’s what I did and had no problems. In fact I kept the original equipment in place and could control both sets of equipment in parallel from each of the S1 and S2 apps, keeping them totally separate. I set up a second Sonos account to keep them separate too, but you don’t have to do that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you are able to connect any of your other Sonos devices to Ethernet you may not need the Boost as Sonos updated the firmware to let any (non-sub/surround) replace the Bridge/Boost if it is hooked to Ethernet.

You could even connect more than one device to Ethernet, reduces the wireless traffic and eliminates any interference issues on the wired devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes I will be replacing  6 connect amps and one bridge. So are you saying all I do is replace each connect with the new amps and replace the bridge with the port and it should be fine?

You replace the Bridge with a Boost (if necessary). The Sonos Port is the successor to the Connect.

Sonos didn’t ‘update the firmware’ to let any device act as a Bridge/Boost. It’s always been that way. In the beginning there was only the ZP100, well before Bridge appeared.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sigh, my brain isn’t working as well as it could. I had two ZP-80s and no Bridge...