Replacing a ZP80

• 26 December 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2

I am thinking of replacing a ZP80 which is currently connected to a Yamaha DSP AX763 amp This provides surround sound to 5 wired speakers & Sub, with connections to a  DVD Player and an LG Smart TV with an optical connection.

I’ve read on here that the Sonos Port is the replacement, but also read reviews how poor it is in sound quality compared to the Sonos Amp.

Questions - are the reports right on the Port?

If I replaced the Zp80 with a Port would I still be able to still use all the current connections?

Would I be better with the Amp and could it replace the Yamaha ?

As you may guess confusion reigns

Thanks - David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

There have been a few adverse comments about the Port’s digital output when in Variable Volume mode. This evidently relates to the signal processing in the Port, intended to ensure that the digital output doesn’t clip at high volumes. Some have felt that this compresses the dynamic range and soundstage to a degree.

The Port’s digital out in Fixed Volume is not affected by this DSP. Nor is the analog output, in either Variable or Fixed.

How does the ZP80 connect at present?

If the zp is working, why change? The new kit is probably not audibly any worse in sound quality, but there is no reason for it to be any better.

Userlevel 2

Hi, many thanks for your quick response ratty & Kumar, the ZP80 is connected wirelessly, with a coax between the Yamaha amp and ZP80

The main reason for considering changing the setup is to take advantage of the S2 software and any new features that brings. The ZP80 is the unit that is stopping the upgrade, although it is working ok.

I wasn’t sure if the Sonos Amp would be useable with my current speaker setup and takeover from the Yamaha.or whether it would just be an extra unit like the ZP80.

David

A Sonos Amp can only drive two speakers (plus sub), though you can add a second Amp for the rear pair. As such a 2xAmp setup is 4.1. The centre channel is delivered as a ‘phantom centre’.

I’d suggest you get a Port direct from Sonos and evaluate it within the return period. Try the coax connection. If it’s set to Fixed Volume then all well and good. If it’s Variable and you’re unhappy with the sound then use the RCA/analog connection instead. The Port’s DAC is a well respected chip.

Userlevel 2

Ok thanks again ratty for your help, that sounds like a good move re. the Port, I think the 2 Amp option might be a bit excessive from both a budget and  benefit point of view, so I’ll give the Port a try.

David.

The port is worth the spend only if you want to move to S2 to integrate with other Sonos kit that you have moved to S2. Apart from this, at this time there is no S2 feature worth the spend at this time.

And while the phantom channel effect works well, a wired centre speaker such as you have still trumps that for full control over dialogue sound levels relative to the rest of the sound track. I don’t have a centre channel speaker, so I make do with sub titles for English movies as well, where turning the sound up for dialogue will make all else too loud.

Userlevel 2

Ok thanks for the other perspective Kumar, it might be worth holding on for the time being until things develop to give a better reason for swapping.

Appreciate your input.

David

it might be worth holding on for the time being until things develop to give a better reason for swapping.

The time being may well extend to the point when there is a hardware failure in the zp. Which is good: why waste perfectly good hardware as long as it works...