Recommended NAS list for 2022

• 12 February 2022
  • 4 replies

I have two Western Digital My Book Live NAS units installed similarly in two locations. As of several months ago, I am no longer able to index the library for both. The error message: “The [drive name] is no longer available.” On one, I deleted the music library hoping I could add it back in, and am unable to do so, displaying the same error message.  On the other, I am able to run my FLAC files with no problem, but cannot index. Sonos tech support has not been able to resolve - they are still working on it. The firmware has not changed for the NAS since 2015. I’m running S2 at both locations. Because of this situation, I am looking for current year 2022 recommendations for replacement NAS units in case I have to do so.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

For quality, Synology or Qnap

Having said that, my music files are on an old LG NAS, which has been running virtually continuously for over 10 years now.

My backup sacrificial NAS is a Buffalo - which also works fine.

So IMHO most NAS drives will work fine, as long as they support SMB1 etc, but we do seem to hear a number of adverse reports on WD devices

I’ve been running on a Western Digital ‘myCloud’ device for about 6 years or so, but it’s one of the versions that runs the latest firmware, 5.0.something I think now. I used to have it locked to SMBv1 and NTML 1, but now that S2 supports higher versions, I’ve closed off those less secure methods of connection. Unfortunately, S1 just doesn’t appear to have the space necessary in the Linux kernel to be updated, so I think I’m fortunate to be able to run S2 without issue. 

I don’t think one brand of NAS is ‘better for Sonos’ than any other, as long as the firmware/system allows you to go in and modify the settings, something that wasn’t provided with some of those early/inexpensive devices from WD. 

I am not a fan of myCloud. On the latest WD firmware, you’ll need to use the “Public” folder for your SONOS library. A few minutes ago I received an email from a friend who is leery of updating his myCloud firmware because of past experiences with things disappearing into the cloud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I use a fancy NAS for my real data but have a Raspberry PI set up as an SMB only NAS for Sonos use. Streaming multiple FLAC streams is no problem.

I have also used a Pi as a gateway from my real NAS to my Sonos. Nice that it gives you a single place to store all your music with no security issues. That is a $25 solution using a Pi Zero which does a fine job.