Power six speakers in one room

• 14 December 2018
  • 6 replies

I have a large room (garage) with six in-ceiling speakers already installed. They are all wired to a common location in my house. My plan was to power these speakers with the new Sonos Amp. Since there are six speakers and the Amp only powers up to four, I'm wondering what is the best way to go about this? Should I get two Amps? If I do, should I put four speakers on one and two speakers on the other? If I have four speakers off of one Amp and two off of another, will I notice any volume differences or syncing issues between the sound coming from the different groups of speakers? Ultimately, I want to play through all six speakers in this room via the Sonos app and volume control. What is recommended for my setup? Thanks for any advice offered!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The cheapest option woukd be to get an impedance managed speaker switch so that you could play all speakers with a single Amp.
I've seen those mentioned before. Forgive my ignorance, but would I still have full volume control via Sonos with the impedance managed speaker switch in the mix?
I've seen those mentioned before. Forgive my ignorance, but would I still have full volume control via Sonos with the impedance managed speaker switch in the mix?

Yes. An impedance switch will allow you to connect a single pair of outputs to multiple pairs of speakers. You would then switch all 4 speakers to 'On' and control the volume via Sonos.
Great, that sounds like the way to go. Will there be any issue with loudness or sound quality? It is just a garage but I'd like it to be loud and decent. Thanks for the help!
Great, that sounds like the way to go. Will there be any issue with loudness or sound quality? It is just a garage but I'd like it to be loud and decent. Thanks for the help!I thinkn it will be OK. I would not have said that about the Connect:Amp, but the Amp has a fair bit more oomph. Post back and let us know how it works out.
I've now purchased the Sonos Amp for my system. Looking for a recommendation on an impedance switch to pair it with. Amp says it puts out 125 Watts but the impedance switch I've looked at (Monoprice) says it only handles a max of 100 Watts, with the protection circuit on. Will this be a problem? Is there a better switch that I should be looking at? Thanks!