Answered

Potential Customer

Badge
Hi
Have a room less than 200 square feet I use for my man cave, have a bit of a noise problem in my community.

Looking at the Playbase +2 Play:1 speakers for watching TV and listening to music, mostly watching TV.

Is this a reasonable set up and will I able to use my android phone to configure to the room?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

fjwag3
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 May 2019, 05:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Yes, and yes, assuming the OS on your Android phone matches what Sonos requires. See supported OS.

At some point in the future, you might consider adding a SUB to your system, but the PLAYBASE and a pair of PLAY:1s as surrounds would be delightful.
Badge
Thank You for quickly responding Bruce ....Is there a limit to how many speakers can be added for other rooms?
There can be up to 32 speakers in a single "home".

That being said, a "room" has a very specific meaning to the Sonos software. It can be one speaker, a stereo pair of speakers, or a soundbar with or without surround speakers. All of those configuration would support a "bonded" SUB, as well.

The Sonos system allows you to "group" as many "rooms" as you have and have them all in sync for music. However, due to some processing requirements, you can't sync a TV input from a soundbar to any other room without a slight delay.

Any other questions?
Badge
We're good Bruce, Thanks.

Joey
Great!

I've had a Sonos for a long time now, and have had no regrets. Just like any other electronic device, it doesn't do everything that I want perfectly, but it does what it is designed to do extremely well, I'd recommend it highly.

Good luck!
Badge
Of course, I thought of another Q. Does the PLAYBASE sit flat/flush like it looks? Potential problem on size for my small entertainment cabinet.....Flush at the bottom works. Little legs would depend on how they are inset.

J
It sits pretty flat. I'd have to get up and wander over, but I think there are those little rubber button "feet" that keep it from rattling on a platform, but looking at it from where I'm sitting, it looks completely flat. Take a look at the pictures on the Sonos website.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/playbar.html

And they do have a wonderful picture of the bottom of the device, just keep scrolling right, they aren't the little "button" feet that they have on the PLAY:X speakers, but instead a larger but equally flat foot.
Badge
Ok thanks again Bruce. The website keeps referring "to watch our videos" when I'm looking for setup instructions.....yes I have found the articles but as of yet not the videos, searching the website no help.
I don't spend a lot of time outside of this forum, so I'm not sure what videos they're referring to, but I'm pretty sure you could just do a google search for Sonos videos, on even just a search on youtube itself. I'm pretty sure that's the platform they use.
Badge
Thanks....been searchin' not finding what I'm looking for.

In the forums, I see a lot of comments from people having issues so that is why I want to be sure.
However, for my lil entertainment room, I can easily Ethernet right into my router w the 2 Play:1's
w nothing showing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MoZ785Yrk

On the right, you'll see a huge list of Sonos videos.
Badge
Cool
Badge
"The connect is wired direct to his router."

The connect? I guess it could be whatever, speaker, etc?
Yes, without checking, I'd imagine that some of those videos might be from before Sonos changed their software so that any device can act as a BRIDGE/BOOST. At this point in time, any Sonos device wired directly to your router puts the whole system in "wired" mode, where it uses SonosNet bandwidth, rather than your own wifi bandwidth.
Badge
That's cool....I'll be able to run one of the Play:1's into my router w nothing showing.

I thought I saw something about wifi extenders 'causing a conflict w
Sonos products....I'm also in the process of installing some security cameras
on my house. Maybe being "wired" would be the best way to go for me anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Extenders can be iffy, Sonos will tell you they are unsupported.
Badge
So I set up the play 1's first and it doesn't seem to know I have a Playbase plugged in. ??
Answered on the other thread you opened.