Port Set up

• 27 February 2021
  • 3 replies

HI All,

Thinking about getting a Sonos for the first time.  Right now I have a turntable plugged into the auxiliary plug of an old stereo in my living room, so the sound only plays through the stereo speakers.  I want to be able to listen to records in other rooms, but not have to the sound on in the living room.  

From what I am reading, I have to buy a port, plug the old stereo into the port and then speakers for the other rooms.  First, am I correct, second would I able to play records in one room, but only be able to listen to it in another room.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Get a preamp to put between the Port and the Turntable. Then you can go from the turntable to the preamp to the Port, and that puts the signal straight into the Sonos ecosystem. At that point, you decide where that signal plays, on any Sonos ‘room’.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

If your turntable is connected to an Aux in, you may find the turntable already has a built in pre-amp. Aux In inputs are usually designed to accept a line in level signal and don’t need a pre-amp. If the input is marked as Phono, then the turntable probably doesn’t have a built in pre-amp. What model is the turntable?

Thanks for your help.  I have a Jensen JTA-230